RB67 Pro/RB67 Pro-S Cross Compatibility

elijahhansen

Yes, all backs are interchangeable between all three models of RB67.

If you can, I'd advise spending the extra for Pro-SD backs. They don't use foam for light seals-chances are good that any Pro-S or Pro backs you get will leak like a sieve until they are refoamed. I've replaced a LOT of light seals, but the Mamiya backs are fiddly and usually take me a couple of hours to do.

• Like 1

Yes, all backs are interchangeable between all three models of RB67.

If you can, I'd advise spending the extra for Pro-SD backs. They don't use foam for light seals-chances are good that any Pro-S or Pro backs you get will leak like a sieve until they are refoamed. I've replaced a LOT of light seals, but the Mamiya backs are fiddly and usually take me a couple of hours to do.

Excellent, thanks for the help and tips. Also do I need to worry about having a different rotating mount when using the newer backs or does the original version work as well?

Thanks!

AFAIK, the way the rotating mounts attaches to the body didn't change, and all are interchangeable between all bodies.

All rotating mounts have a Graflok-type mechanism for securing the back. In fact, you can fit a Graflex-branded roll back intended for a miniature Graphic with a Graflok back. If you were so inclined, you can even put a Graflok sheet film holder on there.

AFAIK, the way the rotating mounts attaches to the body didn't change, and all are interchangeable between all bodies.

All rotating mounts have a Graflok-type mechanism for securing the back. In fact, you can fit a Graflex-branded roll back intended for a miniature Graphic with a Graflok back. If you were so inclined, you can even put a Graflok sheet film holder on there.

Awesome thanks for the help and I will defiantly check out the Graflok sheet holder I love all the options this system offers, Cheers!

Absolutely! Backs are mighty cheap these days. Pro and Pro-S magazines are tanks with an excellent build quality and every last one of the dozen of mine had their light seals replaced including the Rotating back adapters. I've had a couple of Non-SD mags fall off the damned truck onto the pavement. The SD ain't as good of build quality, it shattered. The SD back's virtue is that they don't need foam seals. Seal foam can be bought online and aren't difficult to do the job yourself if you've got the patience. Personally, I like the non-SD backs better. They're tanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

The rotating back adapter is another potential source of light leaks, but in my experience it's less common than a leak on the Pro-S back.

I'm not sure if there's actually any difference between the rotating back adapter on the Pro-S and Pro-SD, but if yours leaks it will leak regardless of what you stick on the back of it.

• 5 years later...

Advise that all rotating adapters are interchangeable with all bodies should be approached with caution. In fact the SD rotating adapter has a right side ~ 5/16 long chromed spring loaded pin that extends through a hole on the right side back of the Pro SD body. The Pro and Pro S revolving adapters do not have this pin nor do the Pro/Pro S bodies have the hole through which the pin extends when the SD revolving adapter mounts to the SD body. The SD revolving adapter pin can be removed (small spanner and needle nosed pliers) to make the SD revolving adapter backward compatible with the Pro/Pro S bodies and, so, get the full benefit of mating the SD revolving adapter to the SD film back with their light blocking milled “seating” channels. Perhaps another P.N poster knows the SD revolving adapter pin’s purpose and will let us know what interlock we’re missing (if any in the Pro and Pro S bodies) by removing the pin.