Q. for 19mm lens users - Hood?

tom_cheshire

<p>I have the 19mm FL lens along with the Canon adapter for series IX filters and was surprised to see in the user manuals that no hood was made for this lens. I have not shot with this lens yet so I am wondering if other users of this lens have any problems from not using a hood or have you found a hood that works for you with this lens?</p>

<p>Also, a different subject, I have two Canon filters (UV and Sky) 72mm that are marked "use only with Scoopic" (which is a 16mm movie camera). I looked at them and they look no different than any other 72mm filter except, maybe, they are a bit thinner. I am guessing they can, in actuality, be used on anything without regard to the "use only on Scoopic" warning. Opinions?</p>

<p>No, Canon never offered a hood for this lens. The huge front element reduces the light falloff or vignetting in the corners. With a 96 degree diagonal angle of view, a non-vignetting hood for this lens would have had to have been pretty unwieldy. You could try making your own. A petal type would perhaps be the most effective.</p>

<p>I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use a Scoopic filter on a still camera. As a wild guess, I would think that filters for movie cameras may have tighter specs with respect to color balance, density and temperature balance.</p>

<p>Yes, they did. I have a T-60-2 hood, which was intended for use with the FL 85/1.8, 100/2.8, and 135/2.5. It's all metal, very well made. Canon also made a T-50-2, for shorter focal lengths, such as their FL 50s. I've used my T-60-2 on my FL 55/1.2 and I don't get any vignetting with it. It doesn't appear that Canon made hoods for the wide angle FL lenses. As Paul mentions, a wide-brimmed hat (sometimes even your hand) held at arms length to cover the sun works well. I've done this often.</p>

<p>I'm also assuming that, since there are -2 hoods, there must have been earlier models, but I don't get any info about them using google.</p>

<p>BTW, years ago, I owned an FL 19mm lens. It was a wonderful optic to use. I wish I hadn't sold it now, cuz these days they go for quite a lot.</p>