Pros and cons of pseudonyms

I noticed recently that I can no longer change my name as it appears on my photo.net page. What I've got there now isn't my real name, but it would be nice to be able to change it again once in awhile. If the ability to change names was disabled because of people being irresponsible with their comments, I don't think it was a very effective solution. I've noticed that people who use their real names are still just as rude.

I use my real name. A lot of my photographs are nudes, and I always felt if I could do stuff openly it was art (or trying to be) and if I had to be secretive it was a vice.

Authors don't always write under their real names, and the Harry Potter books are published under the name of JK Rowling, not Joanne Rowling because the publisher thought boys wouldn't buy them... So there are marketting reasons and also the sort of adopting a persona. You might be John Smith in real life, but write as Aaron C. Rescue, or whatever.

I remember the poor comrades at school who had Polish family names and were adressed "Christian unpronouncable" by their teachers. Some foreign names just sound good under certain circumstances. I remember many artists in Germany trying to use American pseudonyms. And well sometimes photographers are artists, aren't they?