Product shots

<p>Hi,<br>

My son is starting out on his career as a potter. He's looking for a very reasonably priced digital (i.e. used) camera/lens kit to shoot his work for his website and for entering competitions. It can be any brand, but needs to have very good jpeg color and high resolution. The objects (cups, bowls, pitchers, etc.) being photographed are small ranging approximately from 3" high by 2" wide to 1' high by 6' wide. The camera will be only used for this purpose. He has a tripod and head, background, etc.<br>

I do mostly nature and landscape photography, so I'm a little at a loss to advise him. Any suggestions would be most helpful.<br>

Thanks.<br>

Rene</p>

<p>The Sony NEX 3n with 16-50mm zoom is now available as a reberb from Sony for $281 <a href="http://store.sony.com/refurbished-alpha-nex-3n-with-16-50mm-lens-zid27-NEX3NL/B.B/cat-27-catid-All-Certified-Refurbished-Digital-Cameras;pgid=6Kt2IrlIGxxSRpfWXV.LBHIj0000h5-QIk8H;sid=-BlvSfLB8D3DSabIHQgHTcDLvtiUdBJ3CJBbQjmA">HERE.</a> That could be an idea for a decent budget solution. That's a full, 16MP APC sensor and, stopped down for studio work, the lens is pretty good and focuses quite close.<br>

One could add a Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN plus an extension tube set, to retain AF, or a manually focused legacy 55mm macro lens, with proper adapter, for really sharp close up images. I would try the kit lens first as it may do the job for you. In a studio setting, working on a tripod, the lack of an EVF, and auto focus, should be less of an issue. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>high resolution</em></strong>. The objects (cups, bowls, pitchers, etc.) being photographed are small ranging approximately from 3" high by 2" wide to 1' high by 6' wide. The camera will be only used for this purpose. He has a tripod and head, background, etc.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For these stated purposes, I don't think a mirrorless camera offers any advantage over dSLRs which are generally cheaper to get a good kit. The single most useful feature of the mirrorless cameras is size that they are much smaller as compared to the dSLR counterparts using the same sensor. Using them makes more sense when you need to carry the gear on foot. However since the camera will be used on a tripod to shoot things that don't move, I would go for a high res entry level dSLRs. Nikon dSLRs start at 24 MP even in the lowly D3x00 with very good dynamic range for its class. What is his budget?</p>

<p>Louis: Thanks for your suggestions which I'll pass on.<br>

Ellis: I agree that the lighting is more critical, but given his limited funds (and aesthetic choice on his part), he'll be using natural light for the near future. I should have mentioned this in the original post. OTOH hand his birthday is coming in a couple of months, so maybe this would be a good gift.<br>

CC: I agree with your thoughts in general. I started with mirrorless as I'm into the OMD system and am familiar with m43 and mirrorless. His budget is $500. I think the budget buster here is the lens. If he went the Nikon route as you suggest, any thoughts on a relatively inexpensive lens that is good for close up as he needs to get within a foot for some of the smaller pieces?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If he went the Nikon route as you suggest, any thoughts on a relatively inexpensive lens that is good for close up as he needs to get within a foot for some of the smaller pieces?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not an expert in macro but I know Nikon has a 85/3.5 VR macro lens for about $500 for the DX format. Besides this, there are two other macro lenses, 40/2.8 and 60/2.8 for about $250 and $500 each. If the working distance of a 40mm lens is OK, then this could be the lens to get. There is no major difference between D3300 and D3200 so he can get the latter to save money. There are also third party options for macro lenses. Does he really need AF for this? If not, a used Nikon macro 50/3.5 lens can be found for <$100. </p>

<p>Is a 16MP sensor not enough resolution for him? Properly not if he plans to crop a lot; otherwise, he just needs to buy a lens because you already have a camera. The same 50/3.5 can be used with an adapter or he can go with either the Panasonic 45/2.8 or the Olympus 60/2.8. I had the former until it was stolen. It is a wonderful lens.</p>

<p>Lighting will be the biggest issue, and an older DSLR will be fine for his needs, since the camera can be on a tripod so that using a low ISO will be easy. I wouldn't worry about having a lot of resolution (10-12 megs will be more than adequate) since most juried shows and such ask for fairly small JPEG files. A quick deadline and a dull rainy day may convince your son of the value of artificial light... Since nobody else has mentioned it yet, a copy of the book Light--Science &Magic might be helpful for dealing with lighting issues that will arise with shiny glazes.</p>

<p>A tilt screen is a huge advantage for photographing stationary objects. It's much more comfortable and versatile than a dSLR without a tilt screen that demands peering through the viewfinder at objects at tabletop level or lower. For me it's a must due to neck and back pain. It's a plus for anyone who wants to avoid strain and injuries from repeatedly crunching into uncomfortable positions. But for only occasional use an eye level finder or fixed rear screen may be adequate.</p>

<p>Assuming he'd prefer a tilt screen, the stated $500 budget limits dSLR choices to mostly used, and possibly or one or two new models on closeout.</p>

<p>The refurb Sony 3N and kit zoom Louis linked to looks good. I can also recommend the Fuji X-A1 and 16-50 kit zoom. I've been using the X-A1 for a few months and it's very handy for objects at waist/tabletop level to ground level.</p>

<p>However the lack of a fully articulating screen on these lower priced mirrorless models limits them to horizontal orientations for some low level setups. In vertical/portrait orientation cameras with tilt-only screens are no more useful than one with a fixed screen.</p>

<p>If your son's photography would involve lots of vertical/portrait orientation setups, and if he prefers a tilt type screen over the traditional eye level finder, his choices would be limited to the slightly higher priced mid-level dSLRs like the Nikon D5100 and similar models with fully articulating screens and live view.</p>

<p>Get <a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EH5UGR6/?tag=andylynnnet-20">an affordable NEX camera</a> with a Nikon to E mount adapter (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XY4LFU/?tag=andylynnnet-20">the cheap sort of adapter</a>), and <a href="http://classic.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06010200058N?r=FE">a used Nikon 55mm manual focus macro</a>. Stick that all on <a href="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D60LG8/?tag=andylynnnet-20">some reasonable cheap tripod</a> and add your choice of lights and you've got a capable product shots kit on a budget.</p>

<p>I would say any modern camera and it doesn't have to be fancy. He might want to have macro ability for close-up details if that's important. Louis's suggestion is good for a camera or a low end dslr with a lens it doesn't really matter. If a dslr than probably want a lens that covers the 50mm range in 35mm terms and I agree with Ellis that lighting will be the most important. If he uses natural light only meaning no other lights, than he should be able to get decent color balance but he will want it near a window with a bounce card. These can be home made, just a suitable sized piece of foam core and something, or someone, to hold it steady. You have to play around with it to get the light bounced on to the subject correctly, but you can get very nice results on the cheap.</p>

<p>Ellis and CC: Thanks for your continuing thoughts.</p>

<p>Andrew: Thanks for your book suggestion. He'll be able to use natural light most of the time due to the many windows in his studio/home space, but you're right, there are those times...</p>

<p>Lex: He's already told me it has to have a tilt screen. Can you tell me your experience with the jpegs from the Fuji X A-1 and kit zoom? B&H has that kit within his price range, but I did read of some people finding the jpegs way off. If they're good, then this would perhaps be an easy solution.</p>

<p>Andy: Thanks for your suggestion. This is one of the strong possibilities.</p>

<p>Barry: Agreed.</p>