processing 120 slides at the local CVS

do places like cvs have the stuff to process 120 slides?, or even

regular film? i ask because i bout some expired velvia 100f to goof

around with on my holga, and i was hopeing i could get it developed

for chaep, as i am poor. i want to shoot as slide, but cnsidering its

a slide, in a holga, cross processing would be cool to

As far as I know, none of the 1-hour type places process 120 film at all. Their machines just aren't set up for it.

If you take it in there, they may can send it out. I tried this with the local Walmart, which sent it to the Fuji lab. It was processed and processed cheaply. However, the photos I got back were 3.5" square prints, with color balance off, that looked like they had been done on machines left over from the 60's. I'm guessing they just do this as a courtesy for people that are STILL using old cameras, not for us Holga users.

I took some other rolls to a pro lab in Dallas. This was color-negative film. For about $10 or $12, they would develop film and print 5"x5" proof prints, which looked first class. It was way better than what the Fuji lab did.

With slide film, you wouldn't have some of those problems. But I would suggest to check out the local pro-type labs first and see what the rates are for process-only on 120 transparency. Also consider what your end use is. Do you have a way to scan it? Do you need prints from it?

Another option you might look at is using B&W film, developing it yourself, and just doing contact prints, or scanning the negatives.

Where are you at, by the way?

There are two issues here. One is that while some minilab equipment IS capable of handling 120, the people running it only know about 35mm and simply don't deviate from their limited training regardless of what the equipment might be able to do. Second is that the standard minilab processing setup is C-41 for negatives/prints. It's not E-6 for slides. Minilabs in drug stores and Wal=Marts simply don't do slides other than to send them out. (There are real camera store labs that do E-6 in house with minilab equipment set up for E-6, but when most people say minilab they mean the one-hour C-41 setups at the local drug store or Wal-Mart).

Check at a Walmart before sending it that route. We used to live in Colorado, and the Sam's Club near us used the Qualex lab in Denver. We moved to Texas, and the Sam's Club here uses the Fuji lab in Terrell. In otherwords, Walmart processing is not done consistently across the country, and on oddball services, you may or may not be able to get it done there.

Note that they don't necessarily send everything to the same lab- if you send in regular non-C41-B&W, it may go to a different lab than normal color film. Or slides may go one place while print film goes elsewhere. Or K14 processing goes one place while E6 goes another, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

<i>". One is that while some minilab equipment IS capable of handling 120, the people running it only know about 35mm and simply don't deviate from their limited training regardless of what the equipment might be able to do. "</i>

I resent that comment. I work in a walgreens 1hr and while I know that your comment applies to 99% of the idiots what work in our photocentres, it certainly doesn't apply to me.

Consider I almost got fired for processing my 120 film in our processor :P

If I could get ahold of a 120 mask for the Frontier I could print it too.... *sigh*