Prints came out grey washed? Please help

I just made my first prints at home today. They did not come out as hoped. The whole paper is grey, the blacks aren't vibrant, and the

border that should be white from being covered by the eisle is grey as well. I think it could be my paper is just old? Or I mixed my

developer wrong?(I don't think so)I'm not to sure but I really could use some help. Thanks!!!!!<div>00dw6E-562994284.thumb.jpeg.e16f74eb0893008969849ce33260c260.jpeg</div>

I have no background in prints but three things come to mind.

First, is your fixer good and did you fix the print long enough?

Second, try to develop and fix a clean sheet of paper. It should come out bright white. If it is fogged it probably means

the paper is bad or some light got to it.

Third, is your safelight working properly?

<p>Looks a bit like the paper is fogged- by stray light perhaps as you were taking it out of the box. All work should really be done under a red light, and even that at least a yard away from the paper; another thing you might be doing is checking the development under a red light too soon after putting the paper in the tray. You should aim to leave the print at least 2 and a half minutes before putting it near any sort of light, and you should aim in the exposing of the paper to allow it at least the 2+ minutes in the 20deg C developer. Pulling a print before a reasonable time won't lead to a result you want.<br>

It is very difficult to offer any sensible advice however with so many variables! Good Luck.</p>

<p>Try developing and fixing a sheet in total darkness that hasn't been exposed at all with your enlarger. If that comes out grayed out then you probably have old fogged paper. If it looks OK, then do a safelight test. Put a coin on the paper, leave it under the safelight at a reasonable distance for 3-4 minutes and then develop and fix. If that shows an outline of the coin, replace your safelight or safelight filter. Most current variable contrast papers call for an orange light (see the paper directions). Last item: is your chemistry fresh, and is your time in the fixer correct for the dilution you're using?</p>

<p>This is likely due to using the wrong color safelight or your darkroom leaks light. Can also be, photo paper has been damaged by light exposure or it is old and is chemically breaking down. Contaminated chemicals can also give this effect. This can happen if the fixer is weak or improperly mixed. </p>

<p>I have a box of paper, not all that old, which looks about like yours, except for about a 1/4 inch border (not sharp) on each sheet, which is (mostly) white. The box was factory sealed before this. I suspect that it was kept too warm.</p>

<p>Usually light fogging, such as using the wrong safelight, is a smooth gray. The mottled looking gray (the picture isn't all that easy to see) seems like it might be from excess heat. </p>

<p>As above, try developing a sheet without exposure, and if possible, without safelight exposure.</p>

<p>Which safelight do you have?</p>

-- glen