Pricing

harmon

<p>I don't know much about this camera but I saw one for sale for around $250. It has a lens, but I don't know what it's features are. I have confidence in the seller. If the camera functions properly, is there much risk in acquiring the camera in that price range? I am just looking for ball park estimates, plus or minus, say 20% of market value.</p>

I apologize. I just noticed it for sale and started thinking about it this evening. It is a Leica and a model "not on the market

that long" per shop owner. That is why it was about half the price of another Leica I noticed and asked about.

I will note the model tomorrow. I had no serious thought of buying it at the time so I failed to get details. It is fully

mechanical - no batteries.

<p><em>It is a Leica and a model "not on the market that long" per shop owner. That is why it was about half the price of another Leica</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

What he's telling you makes no sense whatsoever, so be suspicious. Even if it says 'Leica', it may be a forgery, fashioned from a cheap Russian camera. There are dozens of examples in this forum. Before you buy it, post the serial numbers here and post a photo, even a cellphone photo.</p>

<p>Sounds OK price to me. Particularly if the lens is clear and in good shape. It may be the first version Summicron-R (if it has the separate hood), which is a lovely lens. The SL may have a dirty pentaprism and/or the meter may be off. If in good working order, then it is a Rolls-Royce of SLRs.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>There is no fungus or dust and it all seems to be in good shape. I hope batteries won't be too much of a problem. I can't find a switch to turn the camera light meter "off". The manual I found online seems to say that you push the winding lever against the body to save battery life. I am wondering if that is all there is to it. Also, if anyone can tell me, what is the purpose of that little switch on the left of the lens in the picture above? I don't see that in the manual I found online.</p>

<p>Swarma, from your photo it is a Leicaflex Standard which was produced before the SL and SL2 models. I believe that the little switch you refer to is the mirror lock-up button, intended for using the 21mm f3.4 Super-Angulon-R lens which protrudes too deeply into the camera to be used with a mirror operation. The viewing system does not have a groundglass screen like other SLRs, thus no provision for viewing depth of field (like in the SL), but rather has an aerial viewfinder with a central microprism spot for visual focussing. The little button on the prism housing is to test the battery (a PX625 that is loaded into the round chrome door. You will have to find a modern counterpoint for the mercury PX 625 if the CdS meter is still functioning, not easy to find (Zn-air batteries are apparently OK but have some issues) or use a separate handheld meter). The meter is turned on when the advance lever is moved out slightly from the camera body (as in beginning to advance the film) and turned off by bringing it back against the body. The 50mm f2 lens is excellent if it is in good condition (possible hazing may be the main problem, and it can be seen by looking through the open back and open lens with a bright light in front of the lens, moving the light sideways as you look through the lens).</p>

<p>Try to find a Leicaflex Standard manual or reprint off eBay or on the web. If it is in good shape you have a nice very useable camera and lens at a good price, even in today's depressed film camera market.</p>

<p> </p>