Pricing a Political Campaign Shoot

ajpn

<p>I'm completely lost on what to charge in this situation. I usually do family portraits or straight commercial work and this is kind of a mix with a sort of buyout thrown in.<br>

<p><br />The shoot consisted of two outside shoots and one studio shoot for a candidate running for local office. They need about 5 or 6 of the pictures, which include solos shots of him in front a public building and some family portraits. I spent 30 to 45 minutes on each occasion.<br>

They will own the images for advertisements and so forth.<br>

<br />The other factor is he is a friend of my spouse's family.<br>

<br />Other details: this is for a county in California.</p>

</p>

<p> Wait....you already shot it without an agreed-upon price and contract? Yikes. This kind of thing always has the makings for serious misunderstandings and worse. I'd price that at a minimum of $200, but this has all the makings of a hornet's nest, so act accordingly, learn your lesson, and go on.</p>

<p>Well when I travel somewhere and for a commercial shoot I charge a minimum of $300. A family portrait is different because you are usually going to sell them a print package.</p>

<p>Yes Luis, we didn't agree upon anything up front. But I'm not worried aobut that in this situation. As they have stated the campaign is paying for it.</p>

<p>Seconding what Charles said... I got my start in political advertising... it's an ugly business. And a campaign and candidate's viability can evaporate overnight, leaving the candidate broke and mortgaged to the hilt, It is a cash up front business, and the candidate knows this... if you allow the candidate to not pay you for a while, that money will be spent elsewhere, putting you last in line for resources, and when it's all done, you may find yourself in line with a lot of other folks trying to get paid.<br>

And as to having the files, if the campaign goes bust (mistress scandal, financial fraud, whatever), they won't care that you have the files. They just won't pay you at all.</p>

<p>I've licensed an image for a political campaign once. Individual running for Sheriff in a large county in Western US used one image on a promotional postcard. Fee as well as payment 15 days net was agreed upon and contract was written. Dude lost and I waited on payment for over 8 months. Never again.</p>

<p>You guys aren't answering the question. Just assume I am going to get paid and stop assuming my man is going to fly by night.</p>

<p>I am asking what you would charge. NOT what I should or should not do.</p>

<p>Besides that this man is a DA. He has been for 20 years. Does that strike you as the criminal type.</p>

<p>Again, I am asking for recommendations on what to charge.</p>