Posting photos on the web.

This sounds like a silly question, but how do I post a photo on the

web? I know I have to upload it, but at what size or pixels should

it be. It was scanned at 40mb, but what should I resize it to? I

will save it as a jpeg in photoshop. I plan to post it on my

photonet workspace. Any guided help will be appreciated.

thanks

When you resize the photo, make sure that you are resampling it also (In PS or Elements, there is box you check in the resize photos dialog). Then, size it at around 1000 pixels wide. You can go a bit bigger or smaller as you desire. Pay attention to vertical pictures, usually you will only want to go about 600 wide on those. These numbers are for posting pictures on your site. If you want to comment on someone else's photo and insert a photo, it should be about 300 pixels wide.

You can right-click on most photos displayed on the Internet. A menu will displayed. Click "Properties" at the bottom of the menu, and that will usually tell you the pixel dimensions and number of bytes of the image. This will help you get an idea about how to size your own images. As a general rule, images should be downsized using Photoshops "Save for Web" so they are no more than 100k or so for a large image, otherwise they will take too long to load.

The word "<B>size</B>" gets tossed around with all sorts of meanings in these topics: File size in megabytes, print size in inches or centimeters, and image size in pixels. These three things only have tenuous relationships with each other.<P>

In this context the main thing you care about is image size in pixels, and to a lesser extent file size if it's large enough to slow down loading.<P>

For web display I usually resample an image to 600-700 pixels on a side. When I "Save for Web" in Photoshop I look <b>very</b> carefully at any sharp edges in the image to make sure I'm not applying too much JPEG compression - too much compression produces little, faint wavy artifacts along sharp edges. These artifacts usually start to show up with a "quality factor" less than 70-80.<P>

I usually try not to make a file bigger than 150K but if I can't get it that small I usually choose to make a smaller image rather than using more compression.<P>

Also, after resampling your image to its web-display size it often helps to re-apply some un-sharp mask to keep the image sharp looking.

The previous responses are right on, but I would add that you should not specify a size in the

HTML IMG tag that will display the image--instead, let it display one-to-one with the screen

pixels. Of course, you don't know what the resolution of the screen is, but usually for web

work one assumes 72 pixels per inch.

What you don't want to do is upload a 2MB image and then use the IMG sizing to reduce it.

That really slows down access to the web page!