Polarizer with Velvia??

Would the use of a polarizer be overkill with velvia 100.

I shoot alot of surfing and have not used one before as I just tweaked my files

in photoshop. Now that I am only shooting film would a filter do more harm than

good? I know I'll loose a stop or 2 that could be a cause for concern some days.

Will the slides be too saturated??

It can be overkill, but it doesn't have to be.

In addition to darkening the sky, a polarizer removes specular reflections from water, foliage and even rocks and dirt. Using a polarizer is not an all-or-nothing proposition. Tailor the setting according to what you see. I usually leave a bit of shine in the water and watch that the sky is not too dark.

A polarizer doesn't have much effect on an overcast day, where you might feel the pinch of the 1-1/2 stop compensation factor.

I'll 2nd Edward.

Last week I shot Velvia 50 [RVP50] along with a Cir-PL at Leo Carrillo State Beach & Vasquez Rocks County Park [California].

I also shot a roll of Velvia 100 at Vasquez Rocks.

Yes, for me Velvia 50 with a Cir-PL was over-kill. One exception in the desert, Joshua Trees against the sky with clouds: Looked great. The beach scene and Vasquez Rocks was over-kill. The skies became so blue that it didn't look real. I can only expane it was the sky looked dence, a solid.

Velvia 100 at Vasquez Rocks with only a UV- OUTSTANDING ! ! !

What did look good with a Cir-PL was Kodak's E100VS at Leo Carrillo State Beach. The E100VS held the highlights better and the sky still looked like the sky, but with the effects of a Cir-PL.

Since you are shooting water, be careful as sometimes the polarizer will change the color of water to grey or green. Watch out for that. Also, since you are trying to shoot action, the loss of two stops in combination with the slow film could indeed result in too much motion blur if you are taking action shots of the surfing. But the only way to tell is to try!