Plus-X Pan query

I like to use Tri-X and T-Max 100 quite a bit, but I've been itching

to try out Plus-X Pan. The only developer I have available is D-76

(school lab). I do buy all my own papers, however. What is the

general consensus on Plus-X? In other words, how is its tonality,

actuance, general look (all in D-76, of course). Thanx 4 any

advice/information.

Plus-X is very nice film. Try diluting your D-76 1:1 and using it 1 shot. Suggested development time for this combination at 68 deg. F is 7 minutes. Full strength D-76 needs only about 5.5 minutes and that's working too fast for me. With longer development times you have some room for small timing errors without causing big differences in your results.

I posted a reply to this question yesterday, but it isn't here so I'm not sure what happened.

I love Plus-X. The tonality is great.

I found after doing some PEI tests with a densinometer that I need to rate Plus-X at ISO 80 and develop for 9.5 minutes in D76 1:1 at 68deg... that is about a minute longer than the Kodak times. The difference between shooting and developing with my testing results versus the kodak iso and times is huge. I was always printing at grade 3.5 and now I print at grade 2. The tonal range is much better now.

Jeff

http://www.jeffsingerphotography.com

Plus-X is a perfectly fine film and D-76 1:1 is the most common developer. That said, I actually preferred the results using D-76 full strength. Because I don't shoot a huge amount of film, I used it as a one-shot. Try a roll both ways and see which you like. You should also find it a much easier film to print well than TMX.