Please, help me, damaged file Adobe Photoshop

Hello ladies and gentlemen!) Go straight to the essence of the problem. Worked in the same .psd file, the source always remained normal and were opened too, until today, when opening, did not see that all the layers are merged, and the image is just black. The weight of the file has not changed. Is it possible now to pick up this file? Tried various utilities, but they did not help. Thank you.)

Sounds like the image got flattened. Perhaps you were prompted to save when sutting down the computer andvyou had several documents open and it happened in a hasty save save save. Do you still have the original RAW files?

I work with my photos in Lightroom, when doing heavier edits I send a copy to Photoshop, if I do a straight save in Ps it shows back up in Ps as a Tiff all merged. If I save as a PSD it saves the layers too, and you believe the file got corrupted. I am not sure if you can fix the file, but if you have the original RAWs, all you lost was the time spent editing and all is not lost.

Cheers, Mark

You can recover if it was backed up of course, any possibility you're on a Mac using Time Machine? As for the image 'just black' that's very odd unlike the possibility you may have flattened the image by mistake. Short of finding a backup, you're kind of hosed by you could upload the image and perhaps another product could at least 'render' it so it's not black. But I wouldn't hold my breath on this and I would immediately implement a backup routine.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

A PSD file is by necessity, a derivative file from the original. No camera produces PSD files, only RAW, TIFF or JPEG.

Recovery software might find a backup or restore a corrupted file (usually not). Collapsing layers is not corruption, per se, but a normal function of Photoshop.

• Like 1

Flattening wouldn't cause the entire image to go black unless that's what it looked like in PS, prior to flattening. The default behavior is to discard hidden layers, so those aren't likely to be the culprit, either.

I've had this happen, too, and I believe it's simply a corrupted file, which can happen for any number of reasons. Try a repair tool, if it's worth gambling the time, but be warned that it may not work. Otherwise, start over.