Please help...Beginner Developing Problem

Hi,

I recently started developing film at home. This is my second roll and it came out with this problem. Hoping someone can help me understand what's going on here.

This is the worst example but it occurred on every 4th and 5th frame getting less apparent1976150952_maninlight.thumb.jpg.fc37ccc7920b4b8e4b7b30aef9174ffa.jpg .

Thanks

Edited by umairarshad

Loading the film onto the developing reel is an acquired skill. Everybody gets it wrong the first one or two or even third time. What you must do is procure two practice rolls of film. Now in the light, practice loading the film. Each time you load, carefully inspect the film on the reel. Is it correctly wound on the spiral reel? Does any part of the film on the spiral reel touch? Now practice with your eyes closed. Practice until you get it right every time. You will need another roll, or even two more, practice rolls, because, after a few loads, the film will deform and thus fail to load properly, no matter what. Remember, practice makes perfect!
  • Like 1

When I first started working for a school newspaper, one particular day I was in a rush to get to my next assignment, so I left several rolls with a fellow camera man. He said he knew all about loading Nikor reels, so I put my trust n him. He didn't. He put his and mine in an eight roll tank (?) and the results looked like above. Lucky for me, none of my better shots were ruined, but he did not fare quite so well.

It's a long time since I first loaded a roll for development, but I do remember that I practiced a few times before I did it for real. I never have lost a frame.

It looks like your film was improperly loaded onto the spool and touched another section of film. If this was not the case, then it was probably insufficient chemicals to fully immerse the film.

I agree. Did you have a problem loading the reel, and are you sure you are using sufficient developer and fixer for the tank you are using? It looks like either sections of the film were touching, or there was insufficient juice. Is all the damage on one side of the negatives?

Don’t fret though, you’ll get the hang of it pretty soon if you keep up with the practice. Sometimes you get a problem like this and you fail to determine what the problem was at all.

I find that when trimming off the leader on the film it helps after you cut across to round off the cornes just a touch. Makes getting the film into the reel a lot easier. Also make sure your is bone dry...not a drop of water anywhere.
  • Like 1

Hate when that happens. Happened at first to me until I got the knack but then you get cavalier and have to go back to step one and tighten up your technique. I agree with not loading. The spool right. Some are so easy but then I tried a different brand and that spool was impossible for me to load in the dark or maybe I just did not read the instructions.