Pinterest Button removal PLEASE !

Stock-Photos

With the extreme changes to photo.net I'm finding the worst change seems to be that a pin-it button is now under all my photos as displayed on full page view. There seems to be no option to remove the pinterest button. Pinterest, and the placement of their button, facilitates some of the worst and most widespread copyright infringement anywhere on the internet. Pinterest users copy images at full size to Pinterest servers each time an image is "pinned" or "stolen".

Consider reading these articles:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250700/what_you_should_know_about_pinterest_and_copyright.html

http://www.ipbrief.net/2015/08/31/pinterest-free-advertising-or-copyright-infringement-the-fight-of-a-photographer-to-protect-the-rights-of-his-industry/

I've been a paying photo.net member for 10+ years. I don't want photo.net facilitating and promoting Pinterest copyright infringement of my portfolio. I've spent may hours removing my images from Pinterest.

As a long time, paying user of photo.net I won't renew my membership unless photo.net gives me the option to remove the "pin-it" button.

Photographers who will respond with comments like "If you don't want your photos copied, don't post them online". Save it please. I publish my photos to photo.net. I don't pay photo.net membership fees to to have copyright infringement of my work promoted by photo.net.

Duplicating content on the web weakens the original and does not help photographers.

Edited by Stock-Photos
  • Like 1

Second the motion, in fact we should have the "opt in" option for all the social media buttons. It is supposed to be about the photography, not sociability, that is why I come here & pay to support PN. Perhaps that can be an option for those of us who do pay to support the site. One of the perks (?) of membership.

Another second for the motion. I have the same view of Pinterest as the OP; the entire site is one large copyright infringement and I am somewhat surprised that it is allowed to exist at all (most users are probably unaware that every pin is most likely a copyright infringement as they either have not read or not understood Pinterest TOS). I filed a few take-down notices but have eventually given up since it took way too long to find each and every occurrence of a stolen image. Hardly any link back to flickr (as required by flickr's TOS); I found several that actually had more views on Pinterest than the original had on flickr. Flickr gives the user to option to enable or disable sharing (though it's an either or for all the different sites) and I think photo.net should provide the same. If someone wants to share my images they can feel free to copy the image's URL, there's no need to steal the image outright. Or they can ask for my permission to use an image. It says "all rights reserved" not "free for all to take and use as they please".

Photographers who will respond with comments like "If you don't want your photos copied, don't post them online". Save it please.

Indeed!

I dont expect we'll see any response from the photo.net administrators. I put in a feedback complaint about the Pinterest issue but heard nothing back. In fact several months ago I saw that the person in charge of photo.net had actually pinned thousands of members images to Pinterest. I just don't understand it. Apparently photo.net does not need my membership fees any longer.

Here's the laterest terms of service that i now have a problem with.

We respect our users' intellectual property, and claim no copyright to anything posted on the site by our users. However, as a stipulation of using photo.net, we retain the right to keep and display anything posted by users on photo.net as part of the site indefinitely. If you are not prepared to accept this, please do not upload or contribute anything to photo.net.

We respect our users' intellectual property, and claim no copyright to anything posted on the site by our users. However, as a stipulation of using photo.net, we retain the right to keep and display anything posted by users on photo.net as part of the site indefinitely. If you are not prepared to accept this, please do not upload or contribute anything to photo.net.

Here's the laterest terms of service that i now have a problem with.

We respect our users' intellectual property, and claim no copyright to anything posted on the site by our users. However, as a stipulation of using photo.net, we retain the right to keep and display anything posted by users on photo.net as part of the site indefinitely. If you are not prepared to accept this, please do not upload or contribute anything to photo.

On your comment about our Terms of Use - they really haven't changed at all since I've been here (so 2010), I'd have to dig to see when that was dated. As a rule of thumb, users have the ability to remove their own photos on their own. When it comes to making comments in our forums - we do not delete entire accounts. If a user no longer wants their name associated with the account we can handle that via a name change. Comments made in forms generally follow a flow and that continuity is needed otherwise the threads meaning would be compromised. Just wanted to provide some perspective - its really about keeping continuity of conversations going so our forum threads make sense. Imagine someone is involved in a conversation - contributes 10 entries to a conversation, then we just delete the account and all forum contributions...that thread would no longer make any sense. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...