Pining for the fjords

andylynn

<p>As part of a larger trip in September or October I'd like to spend a couple of days in Norway's fjords. I'd like to hear from people who have recommendations: What are some of your favorite ways to see the fjords? Boat tour? Particular locations on land that are accessible? Do I have to go north or are there beautiful locations that are more accessible to Oslo? And is this a stupid time of year to go there or are fjords lovely in September?</p>

<p>Perhaps if I just say what we did :<br /> We arrived in Oslo ands spent a day at the Viking Ship Museum at Bygdøy where there is also an interesting Norwegian traditional buildings museum. If you are at all interested in history I suggest you do not miss the Viking Ship Museum.<br /> <br /> Then train from Oslo to Flåm (via the Flamsbana railway) on the Aurlandsfjord which is an arm of the Sognefjord. Ferry trips go from here around these fjords. There are sometimes viewpoints above the fjord which can be accessed by road. One example is the Stegastein viewpoint above Aurland. Or there are lots of walks from Flåm<br>

<br /> Then train from Flåm to Bergen across the 'roof of Norway'. Bergen is interesting with a huge harbour, fish markets, the Bryggen area with traditional merchants houses etc. Day trips of various sorts go from Bergen harbour. We took a fast boat day trip to the head of a fjord in the Bergen area (can't remember offhand which fjord) and then a coach trip across highlands back to Bergen. There are quite a few options there. We had a great time!<br>

<br /> I can't comment on Seprember as we went in June. However we were lucky with the weather which can be rainy during the summer.<br /> As a separate idea a friend took a fjord cruise up the norwegian coast and highly recommended it.</p>

The Norwegian tourist Bureau used to promote an itinerary they called the "Discovery Tour", a two day trip

from Kristiansand up the west coast to Bergen, via train, bus and boat. You can break up Colin's Oslo to

Bergen train trip by spending a night in Finse. The Finse Hut is a short walk from the station and is a base

for other short hikes. From Bergen you can continue down south via a boat trip on the Hardanger Fjord and

on to Kristiansand via Stavanger. I don't know how much the North Sea oil has disrupted the area around

Stavanger. It was somewhat cloudy an rainy in early August when I was there. Have a good trip.