picture styles vs 3dluts

norayr

i have installed three custom picture styles into my 6d and now i wonder, how do they work?

picture styles modify colour of the photo, but how?

do they use something like curves, or 3d luts?

thank you.

I never use picture styles, since I always shoot raw, and picture styles don't affect raw images. (they do affect the thumbnail on the LCD even for raw files, and some raw processing software may read the specs in exif and apply it as a starting point. I think DPP does that.) therefore, I haven't spent a lot of time on them, but from what I have read, they comprise a set of adjustments to sharpening, color balance, saturation, etc. If you hunt online, you can find a few of these settings on the web, I think on Canon Japan's site.

Hi [uSER=10917660]@norayr_chili[/uSER], I'm no expert but as far as I as know:

- there are 'in-camera' picture styles (that are essentially camera settings)

- there is 'post-processing' software (on a PC, Laptop, Tablet or Phone) that can 'post-process' whatever images are on your camera.

A camera picture style is often 'landscape', 'portrait', 'macro', sport', etc. These are basically camera (exposure) settings that best match your 'picture style'.

Curves, Luts and many more filters are not 'in-camera' but are part of post-processing software with which you can edit whatever images come out of your camera.

My approach (FWIW) is to:

- shoot everything in RAW so that I have full control over 'styles' in PP

- style everything in PP

I never use picture styles, since I always shoot raw, and picture styles don't affect raw images

Me too. With a RAW image you can pretty much do what you want to in processing. Otherwise, when I do shoot jpgs and such, I usually use as neutral a 'style' as I can.

Sorry, I have no clue how things work exactly; especially in your camera. To my limited understanding:

JPEGs come out finally baked as is; i.e. as over- or de-saturated and white (im)balanced as we dialed into the camera. The same dabbling with sliders can get applied to first renderings of RAW files but with them we get (enough of) the captured data to do a different rendering in our RAW converters of choice.

I tend to always shoot RAW too. With cameras that permit it, I started shooting RAW + JPEG, mainly for culling convenience, partially with the JPEGs set to BW, to easily get an idea if my images might shine that way.