Photograhic Philanthropy/ Fundraising Advice Needed

dfperrault

<p>I have decided to commit the financial proceeds and use of my photos to non profit causes. I am a full time engineer, and have been doing photography on the side most of my life. Photography was never source of income for me. I am also trying to minimize the chances I will have to pay taxes on the money raised</p>

<p>I have the following questions and need advice:</p>

<p><strong><em>1. Alternative methods</em></strong> - Are there any methods that anyone can suggest I try? My current methods are listed below.</p>

<p><em><strong>2. Online sales via website -</strong></em> My website uses smug mug, and and I turn on e-sales easily. Does anyone have positive or negative experince doing e-sales via a website?</p>

<p><strong><em>3. Comments on website</em></strong> (<a href="http://www.dphoton.org">www.dphoton.org</a>) - Does my site have enough information to inform the viewer about my mission or to encorage them to buy a photo to support my causes?</p>

<p><strong> -----------------------------------------Current Methods---------------------------------------------------</strong><br>

I have listed my current methods below:</p>

<p><strong><em>1. Photo Auctions</em></strong><br>

I donate the photos to an NGO, they raise money by auctioning off the photos. I have had the most success with this method. The NGO can typically raise $500 dollars. One NGO rasied $50k, when bidders offered $5k/photo - for 10 photos.</p>

<p><strong><em>2. Doante Freelance Comepenstation to NGO</em></strong><br>

I occasioanally do freelance photography for a client. Instead of the client paying me, I have them cut a check to the NGO in my name. For example, I sponser the education and healtcare for a girl in Afghanstan. I do a shoot for a client, and have the client cut the check to the NGO to sponser the girl in my name. Sometimes, I take the money directly fromt he client and then donate goods likes computers and cameras to the NGO. This method works well.</p>

<p><strong><em>3. Photoshows</em></strong><br>

I have displayed my images in about 15-20 shows over the past fews years. I have only sold 4 photos. I have the buy cut the check tot he NGO. This does generate alot of traffic on my site (30k hits total). I can see peaks in the viewing that correspond to my shows. I have moderate sucess based on the venue. If the venue is in a cafe it is rare I will sell a photos. If the exhibition is part of an Inidan dance performance I get good exposure because parents ask me to photgraph thei daughters performances. But usually do not sell a print. I always have brochures on hand at the exhibitions.</p>

<p><strong>4. Print Usage Donation</strong><br>

I donate a electronic copy of an image and they are free to sue the image in their advertising for a set time (e.g. 1yr). I am just started to think about this, I have no results yet.</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice</p>

<p><strong><em>Charles:</em></strong><br>

I didn't know this. I am not sure if i fully understand. If i do a photo shoot for someone, and have them cut a check to an NGO. Does tihs mean that the client can not write the amount off as a tax break? How about if a person makes a donation to an NGO and I give them a photo for free? How about, if I get a coffee mug on NPR for making a donation, can I write off the donation as a tax deduction?</p>

<p><strong><em>Gary: </em></strong>This is some of the advice I need:<br>

1. Other ideas or veneus or places (websites) in which I can use use or market my photos to raise money for non profits<br>

2. has anyone had any luck with selling photos using a smugmug like shipping cart on a web site<br>

3. Does my website have enough information to explain what I am going to entice them to buy a photo to support my causes</p>

<p><strong>JDM: </strong>Thanks!</p>

<p>If your client cuts a check to an NGO in exchange for your photo, of course he/she can take a deduction, you however cannot deduct anything beyond the cost of paper & ink.<br>

When you get a coffee mug from NPR for joining, you also receive a statement saying that the value of the mug is NOT deductible (mine says the leather-wrapped coffee mug is worth $12). So you can deduct your contribution LESS the $12.<br>

What YOU cannot deduct is the value of your time, talent, travel, or skill. What you can deduct is the cost of paper, ink, framing, etc (the hard costs).<br>

You don't want to be caught out on this. I donated a photo to a local cause for an auction, and then deducted the entire selling price as my charitable contribution. A definite NO-NO, caught in the audit! They allowed $12 for the paper and ink and $20 for the frame. The photo sold for $450!</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Hi Charles,<br>

OK, that is sort of what I thought. The reasons I have the clients cut the check to the NGO directly is so I don't have keep track of the cash flow, deductions etc. on my taxes. Also it is also more of an incentive for them to work with me since the get they get deduction and I do not.<br /><br /> I also have never tried to write off any of my hardcopy phootgarph donations, on photos or services that I have donated to and NGO. Although it looks like I could at least deduct the ink, paper and frame cost, which I didn't consider.</p>

<p>Thanks for clarifying this!</p>

<p>JW is correct. You are asking the wrong people. You need to speak with your accountant.<br />Having said that, since it doesn't sound like any money is passing through your hands it doesn't sound like you have any income from photography to report, therefore no tax obligation. But since you are giving your work away and havent' established that it has any financial value in its own right (as opposed to being the equivalent of a coffee mug given away as a thank you for a donation toa non profit) it seems unlikely you could claim any tax deduction for what you're doing.Definitely talk to an accountant.</p>