Photo Downloader crashing

<p>Hi all- I'm at my wit's end about this: I'm on a Mac G4, 1.25g single core, 1.75gig RAM, Bridge CS3, and when I connect a cardreader to the computer to fetch images, Bridge opens, then the photo downloader portion crashes. I've trashed preferences, run Disk Utility for priveleges, all that, and still nothing. Is my next step to reload PS CS3 ? Is there anything short of that that will work? <br>

Thanks<br>

Gary</p>

<p>I am on a PC, not a MAC.</p>

<p>The first thing I would suggest you do is try to copy the files from the card to your MAC using a MAC copy utility; see if the copy works. If it does work, you have proved the fault is with CS3 and not your card, card reader, or a glitch in the operating system. If it does not work, start looking at your card or card reader.</p>

<p>Thanks for that. I should have mentioned in the OP that the same card and reader work fine in my iMac. And that the same cards and reader USED to work fine in the G4. I've pretty much isolated the problem to Bridge itself. I think. The problem exists even if I download directly from my cameras with no reader.</p>

<p>I don't know what functions the photo downloader performs, I've never used it.</p>

<p>I plug storage cards into a reader and drag/drop the files into a folder (yes, I'm running Mac OS X) and then open Bridge to view (if I'm not using Lightroom for some reason, that is). Any metadata or file renaming I can do to all of them as a group in Bridge, independent of the downloading operation. </p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

<p>With respect, Gary, you have not isolated the problem to Bridge. If you are certain the card and reader work, that still leaves the USB / Firewire port on your G4 as suspect.</p>

<p>Are you able to copy from the card to your hard drive using a MAC utility? The drag and drop method Godfrey uses would be a good test.</p>