pH-Caused Temporary Reticulation?

trooper

Recent discussions in here regarding reticulation touched on the pH

shock effects. I've been noticing a temporary reticulation that

appears as a "frosty" sort of finish when I first hang my washed films

up. I notice it most on medium format Tri-X but also on Ilford films,

too. When fully dried, it seems to not be apparent and the film seems

normal (perhaps a very vague retention of pattern under a 45X viewer).

In a recent "Duh" moment, I realized that I started seeing this about

the time I was switching to an alkaline fixer (TF-4). Is there some

sort of pH related issue at work here? I'm skipping the acetic acid

and using 3 flushes with tempered water following my developer (FG7

w/o ss, Exactol Lux and W2D2+). I'm quite certain my tempering

methods rule out temperature related issues.

I use TF-4 and tempered water, and have never seen this with Ilford FP4+. Haven't tried the new process Kodak films yet. I use 3-5 changes of water just as you do. If anything, an all akaline processing chain should minimize this sort of thing. Were you using a hardening fixer in the past? I assume you process at 68-70F. If it's higher, a case can be made for using hardener.

I process at 70° and was in a habit of using Kodafix for many years. I assumed that the alkaline chain I am currently on would be less stressful to the emulsion than the acetic acid stop and Kodafix sequence before. My final results are fine but I was mainly curious about what was really going on to produce this very distinct effect that I described. I've been pleased, in general with the chemistry I'm currently using but sometimes feel tempted to settle back into the comfort zone of D76 1:1 and old stand-by (for me) stop and fix routines.

Alkalis cause the emulsion to swell and acids casue it to shrink so a change from alkaline to acid can casue reticulation. Having said that, I use Rodinal (which uses pot. hydroxide - strongly alkaline) and and acid stop (Kodak - diluted 1+15) and have never had a problem with reticulation.

I, too, have seen the "frosted" look on Tri-X and Ilford B&W films when hanging them in the drier. When full dry, the films are clear. I have always thought that this was caused by water adsorbed in the emulsion. I am using various developers (depending on films, the effects wanted, etc.) and always use an acid stop bath with hardening fixer. I cannot see any reticulation on dry 35mm, 120mm or 4 X 5 films. I have seen reticulation on 4 X 5 films when they were accidentally washed in hot water, but that is the only time.

I've seen the "frost" effect you describe on every roll of TMY-120 I've developed; in all cases, the film cleared up completely when dry. What I think you're seeing is a texture applied to the gelatin in the coating process -- Tri-X in 120 size, at least, is (or used to be) specified by Kodak as being retouchable on the emulsion side, which would imply that the gelatin has a tiny bit of "tooth" to allow it to accept pencil or other color. When the gelatin swells while wet, that texture may scatter light more -- though I'm surprised you've only seen it with alkaline fixer, since acid stop and fixer swell the emulsion more than an all-alkaline process. Even plain water, however, can swell emulsion after a half hour of immersion time comparable to the full develop-stop-fix-wash process.

As long as the emulsion returns to normal on complete drying, I wouldn't worry about it -- on my TMY-120 films, I use it (along with a change in the curl, from emulsion in to emulsion out and then back to emulsion in -- caused, I think, because the thinner anti-curl coating on the back dries faster than the emulsion) to tell me when the film is close to being dry.

• 4 weeks later...
This evening, I processed a variety of films and discovered that in one tank, a roll of FP4+ 35mm showed no behavior of this but the FP4+ 120 roll that was in the same tank did. On reflection, I realize that I've shot almost no 35mm B&W in the last year and almost universally medium format. I've also changed where I'm initially hanging film out of the tank in the last year and I think that the new angle of a wall mounted, short flourescent is a big reason I began noticing this frosted/texture effect. I think the response to my initial question on this that referred to a possible re-touch surface on 120 may be the most likely answer.