Personal Websites

Hi, I'm usually someone who comments on - and makes suggestions for - websites and website platforms. I 'claimed' my personal URL and website many years ago (when I was still interested in finding a job) with the primary aim of getting a 'professional-sounding' e-mail address. At the time, my website 'content' was focused on my professional skills. Times have changed a lot since then. Especially since I've long been retired and I have no interest in (non-voluntary) jobs

I've scrubbed my outdated WordPress website. I'd like to focus my 'new' website on my 2 main hobbies: photography and sax playing, with links to informative sites. The chance that anyone might find my personal website is extremely low! I can Google but any tips or suggestions you might have are appreciated.

Mike

Who you want to reach will be a key factor in designing and executing the site. And why you want to reach them and think they’d want to be or benefit from being reached. When I created my first photo website, many years ago, I sent the link to family and friends, got warm feedback, and that sufficed. I didn’t think about reaching a wider audience than that. I leave that to the Kardashians, for whom clicks are oxygen. I used the website as a more personal mechanism.
  • Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

#SEO search engine optimisation, maybe worth reading up about? No clue how networking should work in your case but asking cooperation partners to link your site on theirs makes sense.

I myself am not into that stuff.

I could never trust them again.

I would say that’s very wise of you. Even as sincere as the new Fivrr rep has sounded, trust is something that’s earned and will take much time and positive actions and results to accomplish, if any of it ever actually happens.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Good point, Sam.

The main reason I claimed the URL + Webhosting many years ago was just to get a personalized e-mail address that looked a bit more 'professional' than mikemorrellxxxx @ hotmail/@gmail when applying for jobs. The website came with an e-mail address;). At the time, (10-15 years ago) I did include my website URL in the CV's I sent out. I want to keep my e-mail address (since it's now my main one) so I need to think about some website content that's a bit more interesting than "Hello World". I've never really wanted to promote myself via my website but just include some content for anyone googling my e-mail address 'domain'. In the sense of 'who is this guy?' 'Who I am' has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years so I need to update my website. Not to promote myself, just to provide some content on who I now am. I'm thinking of a 'personal website' that reflects my main hobbies (photography and sax playing) and contains links (with comments) to the various voluntary organizations to which I contribute. On 'hobbies' I could also include links to organisations (including PN)

Who you want to reach will be a key factor in designing and executing the site. And why you want to reach them and think they’d want to be or benefit from being reached. When I created my first photo website, many years ago, I sent the link to family and friends, got warm feedback, and that sufficed. I didn’t think about reaching a wider audience than that. I leave that to the Kardashians, for whom clicks are oxygen. I used the website as a more personal mechanism.
Edited by mikemorrell

I publish 4 WordPress sites. One is for photography ( PAPATANGO.PHOTOGRAPHY | Images by Patrick Thrush ) and another for family genealogy ( Welcome to Journeys in Genealogy ). The remaining two are a local community interest blog and a new site for my amateur radio doings.

WordPress remains the single best platform to present your information. I just moved servers--and am busily making sure that everything has a new coat of paint and runs properly under PHP v8.x.

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!