Permission to shoot

nathan_ellis

Nathan,

<p>Your best bet would be to print off a copy of an email where the Athletic Director (or whomever controls access to the event) grants you express permission to photograph there. I think you will find it difficult to get folks to sign a form just to let you photograph.

<p>Good luck!

<p>Sean

<br><a href="http://www.stnphotography.com">www.stnphotography.com</a>

<i>If it is at a public location, you do not need permission to take photographs. If it was, then every parent/person in the place would need the same permission.</i><p>

It's possible that Nathan is trying to get field access that is not given to every parent/person in the place. He would need permission for that.

Nathan, I shoot football for Santa Ana College and was able to gain access to the field simply by e-mailing the sports information director for the school. In exchange for access, I let him make a copy of my jpeg images at the end of the game so he can use them in the college newsletter and local newspapers. Before gaining access the first time, he checked out the images on my web site before giving approval. He always leaves a press pass for me at the front gate before the game. I've never signed any forms. There may not be any.

I'd expect each school or league will have their own methods for assigning field passes. I'd think having proof of insurance is probably something you might want to have, in case they ask. Is there a particular reason they should consider allowing field or similar access that they don't allow to the parents, etc.? If you have credentials, aving them available would be a good idea too.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Hoffmann , sep 20, 2005; 08:44 a.m.

If it is at a public location, you do not need permission to take photographs. If it was, then every parent/person in the place would need the same permission.

Actually, many schools now require their students and the parents to sign forms that state their photo can be taken and used. If they don't sign the form the you can't use the photo! I have had that occur in relation to my high school sports website. Thankfully only one school in our county has this garbage so far.