Pentax 67II or Mamiya RZ67 Pro II for Landscape Photography

jeff_plomley1

Well, I just took the plunge and bought a M7 rangefinder and ProCabin projector. I would like to add

another 6x7 kit for landscape photography (the M7 is for street and very light travel work). I use

polarizers and GND filters a lot, neither of which are particularly amenable to the rangefinder. Between

the Pentax 67II and RZII, which would you select and why. Optically, are they comparable? (I know I am

blown away by the M7, but you cannot compare rangefinder optics to SLR)

RZ67 Pro II or Pro II D, hands down. Why? Well: 1) 37mm fisheye to 500mm APO lenses, 2) Waist Level or Prism Finders, 3) Flash Sync. 8 sec. to 1/400 sec. (For landscapes??? Yes, check the forgrounds in many Galen Rowell images), 4) Less mirror slap than Pentax 67II, 5) Extremely Capable Macro Shooting (If you Expand your Interests), 6)Removable (120/200) and Rotatable Film Backs, and 7) Future option of Digital Back when costs come down to earth. How great are the RZIIs optics? Check out Jim Zuckerman work; 95% of which is Mamiya RZII or M7II. See: http://www.corporatefineart.com/-/corporatefineart/ . Hope this helps!

I know that I will be called all the names that the forum users call people who disagree, but I believe that you are much better off with the Pentax. Easier to handle and use, not prone to jamming or becoming disabled because of battery problems. The lenses are much to my preference on the Pentax, though, as you say, no comparison wih a Leica. Much better tonality in B&W with the Pentax lenses. I have owned both of these. Had minor problems with the Pentax, hated the Mamiya.

I sort of had this problem when I was looking for a 6x7 landscape camera and I ultimately chose the P67II. Why? Well, it has everything you need for a landscape camera. It has the biggest selection of lenses for any 6x7 SLR. The Mamiya has 38mm - 500mm? Well, the P67II has 35mm to 800mm! OK, that's a stupid argument since the lenses on the wide and long end are rarely used. The P67II also has waist level finders, prisms etc. The P67II is extremely easy to use, is light weight and is sturdy. Mirror slap is not a problem in the newer P67II and since you will be tripod mounting it, I don't think that it will pose a problem at all. I personally have never had any problems wiht it. Flash is usable. OK, the synch speed is crap but do you really need to use flash that much? Lens quality is not going to rival teh M7II but its decent. Compared to RZ67? No idea. The P67II is definitely adequate. The P67II is also cheaper. Lenses are cheaper too. Basically everything I found about the P67II was better than the RZ67 for landscape work. The only thing I might have wanted was a changeable back but now I have used it, I didn't find I needed one. The Mamiya is a studio camera at heart and it was not designed as a portable system. OK, you can use it without problems in the field but the P67II is just more suited in my opinion. I find the P67II heavy enough as it is with 2 lenses but looking at the Mamiya, I think I would give up trying to carry it.

Anyway, I am not saying the Mamiya is a bad camera, many pros have used one in teh field, I just don't think its as suited to landscape work as the Pentax.

The P6x7, 67, and 67II are superb in the field. What attracted me in the first place was its resemblance and handling like a jumbo-size 35 SLR, and so it's proven to be. Film loading in a roll-film camera is more fiddly than in most 35mm cameras, screw-mount Leicas excepted. Some things to learn there, anyway. :-) Lenses are excellent and economical, with many variations from fisheye, perspective-shift, macro, variable-soft, and zooms, to a couple of leaf-shutter models for fast flash synch.

I think it comes down to what appeals to you and fits you better. I rented an RB67, to see what it was like, before I bought my first P6x7 some 30 years ago, and don't regret that choice.

I also have to go with Pentax 67. I use to have an RB 67 and also a RZ both cameras were great in the studio. When shooting in the field, it was a pain in the ass with the odd size box if I just wanted to take short walks and do some hand held stuff. After I sold them and got myself a P 67 I just can't see myself going back. This camera is great in the studio and out in the field. This is a must have camera when size dose matters. Now I want the 67II;-0 everything in my profile has been shot with a Pentax 67.

Another vote for the P67II. Everything said above is correct. The flash sync is measly 1/30s but if you indeed use flash in the field (like Galen Rowell, mentioned above) you would need a slow shutter speed and just give a bit of fill anyway, so the 1/30s or slower is still okay. Digital back is not available. But if Pentax actually brings the 645D body out, it would fill that need very nicely, being fully integrated to the P67 lens system.

RZ is a superb studio camera. P67 rules in the field.

I've owned and used both extensively for landscape, and preferred the Pentax for all the reasons stated above. You absolutely will not see any difference in lens performance (actually, the P67 lenses are as good as any you can find, save the Mamiya 6 rangefinder). There are a couple of quirks in the system (film loading and shutter vibration) but both can be easily managed.

The lenses for the RZ (and RB) stop down further than most of the Pentax lenses, so this is important in DOF, which most MF landscapes need. However, the more recent P67 lenses also have smaller stops and better DOF. The 90-180 zoom is an f/45 lens and is an amazing accomplishment in optics. The 55-100 zoom is another recent design and is a gem for landscapes with f/32 DOF. Between the older Takumar and newer Pentax lenses, there are at least 25 lenses available for this system, even a 1000mm mirror.