Panny GM1 anyone?

shutterbud

<p>I just found out about this camera and am very impressed by what Panasonic have managed to do. GX7 sensor in a camera the size of an S120? Wow. IF ONLY they had given it a 35mm f/2 fixed lens, or offered that as an optional model it would have been an instant classic. Anyone got one yet? I am wondering whether it would be wise for me to see this as an upgrade to my GX1 in preference to my GX7- it might also make my plans to buy a Sony RX100 II redundant, killing two birds with one stone. Add a 20/1.7 and you've got the ultimate small size/ big IQ package. I used to think it was silly to talk about the death of DSLRs, but given the immense strides this format is making, I can see DSLRs becoming anachonisms in the next ten years.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>GX7 sensor in a camera the size of an S120</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe if you look at it from the front, not the top: it's considerably thicker with a lens. It will also be bigger than a RX100. Larger sensors require larger lenses. The smallest package would be to use the Panasonic 14/2.5 lens which is small, fast AF and sharp.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>IF ONLY they had given it a 35mm f/2 fixed lens</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you want a lens with a FOV of a fast 35mm lens? Then get the Olympus 17/1.8, but it's not a pancake lens. The 20/1.7 is smaller, but the AF is slow. I strongly suggest examining the ergos of GM1 relative to the GX7, because there will be some real handling trade offs to make a very small camera.</p>

<p>[[Do you know the differences between the Sony RX100 II and the original RX100?]]</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/27/sony-reveals-cyber-shot-rx100-II-with-BSI-CMOS-sensor</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...features a new 1-inch, 20.2 megapixel back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor, which Sony claims is 40% more sensitive in low light than its predecessor. The 3-inch WhiteMagic LCD now articulates (84 degrees up, 45 degrees down), allowing for easier composition. Another major addition is a Multi Interface Shoe, which can not only accept an external flash, but also an electronic viewfinder or stereo microphone. The RX100 II also has Wi-Fi and NFC capability, which allows for one-touch photo transfer between camera and smart devices. Lastly, the camera now supports 1080/24p video recording.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p>The arrival of this camera, plus the good work from Olympus in the last few months, has made me decide to stick to M4/3 instead of going for the RX100 II. Last week I was going to get a Canon G1X, then "the answer" was a Sony RX100 II but I plan to get into town tomorrow and buy the Oly M.Z. ED 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. Coupled with my Panny 14/2.5 I should be happy for a while. I don't know what I'll use the kit zoom for- dusty/ crowded environments maybe, so I don't worry about losing a decent lens or dirtying my sensor. Then I can wait happily to decided on an upgrade for my GX1. My D5100 is already in the cupboard, all tucked away with the lenses. I don't miss it. </p>

<p>Update:- I live in a city of 6 million people and cannot find a single Panasonic or Olympus prime, apart from the 14/2.5 which I already own. I went straight to Suning today where there is a display of 15 Olympus lenses, all primes, surrounding various camera bodies. "Great," I thought, "I'm in business". It turns out there were plastic display <strong>models</strong>. When I vented my surprise and anger the staff walked away and refused to deal with me further. They had lost face. <em><br /></em><br>

So I am now the proud owner of a Canon Eos M with double lens kit. I will go to Shanghai soon to get a Panny 20/1.7 or Olympus 45/1.8 for the GX1 and leave it at that. For now. </p>

<p>Stephen, I'll be interested in hearing your impressions of the AF quickness and overall responsiveness of the EOS M for street and candid photos. I've read the recent firmware upgrade improved performance a bit. The EOS M and pancake lens appears to be an excellent value right now.</p>

<p>I have an EOS M. The 22/2.0 lens is excellent. The touch screen interface is actually very quick and well designed. Good image quality. Nice camera, except for the AF. Even with the new firmware, it focuses like a slow P&S camera. I don't think it will work for most people who do people street photography unless they go up to the subject and ask if they can take their picture.</p>

<p>Thanks, Bruce, good info. I still might consider it as a replacement for my old D2H, although I might do better with a good used D90 since I already have so many Nikkors. Mostly I'm just looking for a smaller, lighter weight APS-C camera in place of my D2H - too bulky and heavy to lug around anymore.</p>

<p>BTW, is it possible to zone focus with the EOS M? IOW, preset focus manually, stop down and rely on DOF for reasonably sharp results? I usually do that anyway with my 35mm film compact rangefinders, since I can't focus quickly with those - never have adapted to rangefinder focusing.</p>

<p>Focus is slow with the 22mm lens. About twice as slow as it is on the GX1 with the 14mm on it, set to 'pinpoint.' It seems a little quicker with the zoom. This is with the latest firmware fix. I can't imagine what it was like beforehand! It does seem to be quite predictable though and I can imagine getting used to it's rythms. It is also quiet. I have only been able to mess around in my apartment so far as it was night by the time I got home and the battery charged up but so far, zooming in to pixel level on the screen, both lenses seem very good indeed. I would not be surprised if there was no need at all for a better 18-55mm for years to come. The bokeh on the 22mm is very nice. One thing I would say is that the whole kit feels incredibly well made. The GX1 is light in comparison and of noticeably lower quality and the zoom lens in particular is a lovely little thing, with a well-damped focus and zoom action and sculpted knarling. After a few minutes playing around with the UI, it is not a problem. I can well imagine younger people, brought up on smartphones, to be comfortable with it in seconds. I will post some pics as they come up.</p>

<i>BTW, is it possible to zone focus with the EOS M? IOW, preset focus manually, stop down and rely on DOF for

reasonably sharp results? </i>

<p>

In my opinion, zone focusing is poorly implemented in the EOS-m. Its possible to manually focus the lens but you have no

way of setting the focus distance (eg 3m). It would have been better if canon had implemented digital manual focussing,

like on the G1x, where you set the focus distance in software and the lens can not be physically focussed(rotated)

<p>

After getting the Nikon 18.5 I think I will sell my EOS-m/22mm kit and buy a new Nikon 1 body.

<p>I far prefer an actual focusing ring. Distance scales are nice to have but all you have to do is prefocus on a wall or object you have paced out the distance to then you are good to go. No faffing with electronics, AF point or anything. I imagine this will be quite easy with the M</p>

The problem with using a focussing ring with no scales is you don't know if the lens has been refocussed accidently- such

as putting your camera in a bag. You'll need to check focus again. With digital manual focus you can set it & forget about

it.

Of course it all depends on personal preferences.

<blockquote>

<p>"While certainly not as small as the EOS M, have you looked at the SL1?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup, but if I get another dSLR I'll stick with Nikon, mostly because I already have several Nikkors.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"After getting the Nikon 18.5 I think I will sell my EOS-m/22mm kit and buy a new Nikon 1 body."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since you've owned and used both I'll probably skip the EOS M then. I'm also planning to get the 18.5/1.8 for my V1, although I do wish Nikon offered a 14mm f/1.8 or f/2. I seem to use that focal length on my 10-30 VR more often than 18mm, but a faster prime will still be useful.</p>

<p>I like the idea of a compact APS sensor camera, but I can't afford what I really want - the Ricoh GR. Love those Ricoh ergonomics and control design. I wish Nikon would license Ricoh's ergonomics and interface for a Coolpix with CX sensor, V1 quickness and EVF, and a fast zoom.</p>