Overlapping negatives

I developed a roll of film taken on Minolta SRT-202. The last few frames on the roll turned out overlapped. The last three photos on the roll were fine. The overlap on the negative also seems to progress more severely in sequence. I googled that it's possible I did not advance the lever completely. But could this be other mechanical problems with the camera? There is a problem with the mirror not returning after taking a photo, could this issue be related?

000001650029.jpg000001650030.jpg000001650031.jpg

000001650032.jpg000001650033.jpg

It is hard to explain sometimes how cameras wear out.

The spool is supposed to wind a whole frame, and the sprocket wheel is

supposed to make sure that happens. But when things are worn, the spool might

not pull the film for the whole frame. Less often, the film jumps the sprocket, usually

leaving a mark on the film.

You might try winding slower, though not so likely to help.

-- glen

Welcome to the vaguaries and issues of using film in old cameras.

The answer is to either use a newer, and probably uglier, model of camera. Or to have the camera you've got fully and professionally serviced - but you probably wouldn't like the cost of either option.

Or you could just shoot digital and do away with those issues once and for all.

• Like 1

Hmm... what about all the

vagaries of old DIGITAL

cameras...?

Never had overlapping frames in a digital camera, nor any other fault that wasn't immediately obvious.

But there's nothing like the gambler's thrill of having to wait several days before you know if your pictures have 'come out'. Nor that final roll of the dice at the processing house!

I could be wrong on this, but I suspect that ordinary people (that is, those who don't write here)

are better at keeping negatives safe than keeping digital files safe.

Keeping negatives in the envelope returned from the photo company isn't the best

place, but it is usually good enough. Stored in that drawer where things collect that

you don't know where else to put them.

How many people are good at reliably making backups of their computer disk drives?

Remembering where they stored them, and which files are on them?

Buy a new computer, old ones goes into some closet. (Where all the old electronics goes.)

After some time, it all goes to the electronics recycling. Oops, that is where all the pictures were.

I suspect many keep all their pictures on their phone, which could get lost, stolen, or

otherwise not usable. Maybe with backup to the cloud, if they remember the password.

In the case of a drawer full of negatives, they remember paying for them, so they must

be valuable. Digital shots are so cheap, many people take way too many of them.

Then, since they are so cheap, not value keeping them safe, in the same way as

they keep negatives safe.

In not so many years, there will be a big hole in the photographic history,

where all those lost images should have been.

• Like 4

-- glen

I could be wrong on this, but I suspect that ordinary people (that is, those who don't write here)

are better at keeping negatives safe than keeping digital files safe.

IME, you're totally wrong on that Glen.

After both my parents passed away, I couldn't find a single one of the negatives from the many snapshots my father took over the years.

And it's difficult to scratch, fold, crease or get thumbprints on a digital file.

• Like 2

IME, you're totally wrong on that Glen.

After both my parents passed away, I couldn't find a single one of the negatives from the many snapshots my father took over the years.

And it's difficult to scratch, fold, crease or get thumbprints on a digital file.

Hard to do statistics with only one data point. Did you find all their digital files?

Did you have the password for their computer so you could get any files off?

(Unless it is encrypted, you should be able to get files off a drive connected to

another computer, but how many people do that?)

A fingerprint doesn't completely destroy a negative. Crack and SD card, and you might

lose hundreds or thousands of pictures.

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...

And then there's some of us (me) , that carefully ( I thought ) backed up all his negative scans and stored them

on a thumb drive ! Drum roll ,hard drive failed and yeah all 1400 of them were there , but only identified with a jpg #

, crap , who was to know what else you were to do ? Every picture was identified with camera type and date . Ain't

technology great ? Peter