Over exposed black and white film inadvertently; How to develop negatives?

I just shot part of a roll of film, later looked at the camera and noticed the exposure compensation was set to +2. Using Delta 400, I usually shoot at e.i. of 250. (The meter was set for speed of 250). I develop in hc-110, dilution H for 12 minutes.

My first thought was to develop at e.i. 125 or 60, accordingly shorter development time. Wondered if pulling as far as 60 would be too much.

Any opinions?

More usual is dilution B, so you are somewhat more dilute, which means some compensation effect.

Compensation means that it won't overdevelop the highlights, as there isn't enough developer to do that.

My guess is that you will be fine, but if you really want to know, and the roll is important, do trial with another roll.

-- glen

Negative film produces a useless image because nobody looks at a negative and says "Look at Sally, doesn't she look grand". We print negatives or scan them and then display a positive on paper or on computer screen. The negative/positive method affords the opportunity to correct over/under exposure. That's why the negative/positive method is so popular. Films have exposure latitude, under developing decreases contrast, over developing adds contrast. Develop this film to specification and allow the latitude and the correction ability of the negative/positive process to work its magic.
  • Like 1

Three stops over is pretty far, though. OK, only 2 and 2/3.

But with even a little compensation from dilution H, I suspect it will be fine.

He might even try it with more dilution, and with the normal time for that dilution.

-- glen