Optical cleanliness of new Planar T* 50mm f/2 ZM lens

robertshults

<p>I have noticed an anomaly within my Planar T* 50mm f/2 ZM lens, purchased new from Adorama Camera on February 07, 2009.</p>

<p>After finishing my first shoot with the lens (on my Leica M6 on February 20), I cleaned the protective filter mounted on the lens and shined a flashlight through the optic to ensure its cleanliness. When I did, I noticed a "film" of small, dust-like particles near the rear group of elements. I took the lens off the camera and examined the surface of the rear element, which was spotlessly clean. <br /> <br /> <br /> The particles (pictured as best I can and circled in the attached image "50mm_Planar_700pixels.jpg") are more or less uniform in size and slightly reflective. They are spread across a wide area of glass within the lens behind the diaphragm. (I have marked their apparent position on the 50mm Planar diagram attached in the next post) These particles are only visible when a bright flashlight is shined directly into the lens and only when the lens is capped on one end and the diaphragm is fully open. <br /> <br /> My first films with this lens will be scanned tomorrow, and I have sent a version of this text and these images to Zeiss, but I am curious to hear the thoughts of forum members. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /></p>

<p>I might expect to see a few bubbles and specs, but this seems a little different, in that there are a number of spots in one area. Could they be reflections of some sort? I am guessing it's nothing to worry about. It will be interesting to hear comments from Zeiss. Bright flashlights do reveal things in lenses, but they cause reflections too. Hope this helps.</p>

I have this same lens and it is really a fantastic lens. I have the chrome version. The focus is smooth and the aperture clicks in 1/3 stops which is pretty nice. However, I have seen samples with horribly stiff focus, so I would assume QC with Cosina is not the best in the world, and the materials are not up to Leitz standards, or even to Kyocera or German produced Zeiss lenses. Still it is a very nice lens, so I would simply keep returning what you get until you get a good sample.

<p>Whatever these defects are, they are dispersed across one entire element (all other elements seem spotless). They only appear to be concentrated in the photo above as that is the area illuminated.</p>

<p>I paid $691.95 at Adorama on 02/07/09, exactly 14 days (the duration of Adorama's return period) from my discovery of the issue on 02/20/09. I will call Adorama tomorrow and see if they will accept a return anyway.</p>

<p>Darius, if you have a moment (and have not done so already), could you examine your lens as I've described above and let me know if you see any inclusions in the glass (E B's mention of bubbles actually seems like an accurate description; I wonder if it could be a problem with the cementing of the group of elements immediately behind the diaphragm). That said...</p>

<p>It also occurred to me that they might be reflections of the many nearly microscopic bits of dust within / on even the cleanest lenses, lens caps, and camera bodies. This theory might explain why they are only visible when the lens is stopped down. Does this seem sound to anyone else?</p>

<p>There is only so much Zeiss will be able to tell from pictures and the trip to Oberkochen is a long one...I really appreciate all of your responses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It really is impossible to tell what the substance is. I have even seen fungus grow in a similar fashion and look somewhat sparkly. </p>

<p>If Adorama won't let you return the lens, send it in for warranty service. Obviously there is enough of a problem to cause refraction and loss of contrast/sharpness.</p>

<p>Despite being past the return deadline, Adorama has agreed to accept a return on the lens. </p>

<p>I must admit that I bought the lens at Adorama as B&H was out of stock at the time. I've heard stories of occasional difficulty with returns to Adorama, but so far everything has gone very smoothly. </p>

<p>I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who offered advice on this situation.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought a new nikon lens from Adorama along time ago and there was a defect on the front element. Easily seen right out of the box. I called Adorama who refused to allow a return and they told me to send it to Nikon. It pissed me off so much, I got in my car and drove to NYC with lens and receipt and walked into their (packed with customers) store. The clerk in the store also told me to return it to Nikon. I raised my voice so every customer in the joint heard my complaint and promptly got my money back. I probably wouldn't have been as upset except the lens was a gift for another person who I new would also notice the defect. I don't do business with Adorama anymore.</p>

<p>Darius<br>

I have a presence on approximately 400 forums, sites and blogs - and try to behave myself on all of them, whether or not we sponsor them!!<br>

Robert<br>

I believe the problem has been resolved to your satisfaction - let me know if you need any further assistance.<br>

John<br>

I'm always saddened when I read posts like yours, which refer to incidents "a long time ago". Our current return policy, which is on our website, states that:<br>

'For the first 14 days of your purchase (First 7 days for video and audio), you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges (for items which we offer free shipping, our standard shipping charges will be deducted from any refund or credit)' Although, we would look at refunding shipping charges on a faulty item.<br>

I am sorry that you had a horrible experience with your faulty lens; however, personnel and policies do change throughout the life of a business. Just during the 15 months that I have been in post, I have seen significant changes (for the better) at Adorama, many of which have been as a direct result of the feedback I've picked up from customers on forums such as photo.net.<br>

If you ever change your mind and would like to give us another chance, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me directly.<br>

Sincerely<br>

<strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</p>