Opinions on 1st Gen 35mm f2 Summicron-R lens.

I got my hands on an old Leica R4 MOT body with a 35mm f2 Summicron and a 135mm f2.8 Elmarit.

The body had some electrical problems but fresh batteries and some cleaning brought it back to life.

The Elmarit isn't that interesting but the Summicron seems to be quite rare - it's the 1st Gen made in 1970, with the serial in the 2464501-2466500 range. Considering the age, it's in a really good condition - there are obviously some marks on the lens body, but the glasses are clean without hazing or fungus. The Leica forum seems to be all over it, praising it's lovely bokeh and superb glass quality.

Does anyone have any experience with these lenses and can confirm their rarity? What would a fair price for these be if I choose to sell it?

Thanks!

I got my hands on an old Leica R4 MOT body with a 35mm f2 Summicron and a 135mm f2.8 Elmarit. ... Does anyone have any experience with these lenses and can confirm their rarity? What would a fair price for these be if I choose to sell it? ...

In my experience these 1st generation 50mm Summicron R lenses are not particularly rare. You do have a very late 1st version though. Check closed eBay auctions to find it's worth, but I suspect it's worth no more than, say, ~$400 (US). Not long ago you could have fetched one for < $200. The value of Leica R lenses, in general, have increased in recent years due to their adaptability to the (digital) Leica SL.

The R4 MOT body and 135mm Elmarit-R are worth ~$400 combined - more or less.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I'd say, no longer owning mine, that it wasn't and isn't rare by any means, and its performance has been overshadowed. If you want valuation estimates, go to Ebay and look at completed sales then look at the condition descriptions.

In my experience these 1st generation 50mm Summicron R lenses are not particularly rare. ...
Oops! Make that ... "1st generation 35mm Summicron R lenses" ...

The 35mm Summicron-R lenses are worth about double that of the corresponding 50mm R lenses of the same generation.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Not particularly rare, but not very popular either, as version 2 is a better optic, much smaller and has a built in lens hood. The ver 1 is a pretty good lens, but nothing awesomely special in Leica land. Version 2 has a very good reputation.
Robin Smith