OOB Photos

<p>Okay, Michael. I was talking to two photographers last night and it was mentioned along with HDR, Bokeh, time lapse photos etc... as if it was well known. They were surprised that I didn't know the term...</p>

<p>In fact, I still don't grasp it. It seems like a 3D thingy... </p>

<p>Actually, it brings to mind some really unfortunate periods in the development of popular photography ... like ghostly brides and grooms trapped in champagne flutes. That was mostly done to help constrain the groom's tie, which was likely <em>very</em> wide at the time.<br /><br />Googling for this, I see links to galleries like "50 Outstanding Examples Of OOB..." <em>gaah! </em>They're mostly awful. It's the cartoon HDR of the week. </p>

<p>I stayed away from this thread as long as I could stand until I finally had to find out what the hell OOB stands for.<br /> uuuh-buhhh-grrglh-gasp...I knew I'ld regret it.</p>

<p>And you call this worst than HDR? Are you kidding me?</p>

<p>Grandpa Graphic here (my self assigned online alternate name) says that OOB was a kick ass graphic treatment that was the shizzle among the Communication Arts graphic design crowd. It was a sophisticated way of drawing attention to boring product and event images in page design we graphic slaves had to contend with so'zzz we wouldn't have to make it <strong>"BIG & BOLD"</strong> as demanded by advertising sales reps.</p>

<p>Take note of one of my fine OOB creations I labored intensely in designing and drawing the bounding box borders by hand with a rapidograph pen and cutting rubylith masks so the commercial press plate maker could make the elements expand outside the bounds of the box.</p><div>00bCfQ-512089584.jpg.4c7bb0b1bde41ac3053cb900193a29e3.jpg</div>

<p>Barry, there were two go to pre-made graphics tools I recall and one was ChartPak brand black line tape and the other was Letraset brand press on font lettering which came in translucent sheets.</p>

<p>I most likely used amberlith instead of rubylith to cut the photo knock out masks. I used ruby most of the time to cut color for spot separation on 6 color t-shirt art (blocked light better) and then used the darkroom vacuum frame on the graphics camera to do reversals on the masks so the seps would print butt register meaning the colors didn't print overlapped or what us prepress boys called keyline. We had really cool lingo back in the day.</p><div>00bCkK-512181584.jpg.c181854b1eb813e1a33e3f9cb01cb48f.jpg</div>

<p>"I guess I am just not as lofty as some here.<br>

But yesterday I read this thread and discovered OOB, then had great enjoyment last night playing with it.<br>

I am still stuck at that low level of skill development that I think photography is supposed to be fun --"</p>

<p>I agree, although I didn't spend anytime last night playing with the technique. Not my cup of tea but if it twists someone else's crank, why not. I refuse to let myself get to the lofty heights some here have acheived.</p>

<p>I do like how Leslie that started this thread has mysteriously disappeared! (chuckle to self)</p>

<p>Initially, I thought the "OOB" might stand for "Out of Balance" in some manner! . . . I suppose my initial thoughts were close at least!<br />Thanks though, I have learned something new!</p>

<p>Tim, I'm having a flashback to the early 1980s and college newspaper days. I loved that hot wax machine. After hours, I'd stick a glob of wax on the end of a pica pole and use it to fish quarters out of the vending machines to buy drinks and snacks for the staff who worked late. We probably spent the same $3 in quarters over and over for an entire semester.</p>

<p>Wax on your pica pole to fish quarters out of the vending machine, Lex?!</p>

<p>NOW YOU TELL ME! Great idea! Now where's my pica pole?</p>

<p>heh,heh...How'ld ya' like that wax cleaning solution, good ol' Bestine? Nasty toxic stuff similar to brake fluid cleaner that can lead to neurological disfunction, nerve damage and memory loss from extended exposure. Too late for MSDS for me. My hands were practically soaking in it, Madge. No dish pan hands for me, more like freeze dried hands.</p>