Older Artist, New to Photography.

<p>Hello everyone! I have been an artist in various mediums throughout my life, and most recently found an overwhelming love for photography. I attended the Art Institute of Pittsburgh for Computer Animation and Multimedia Design and while attending AIP, I had a single intro class using a 35mm film Nikon. I had dreams and hopes of drawing and animating for Disney and the new studio of that time, Pixar... Yeah, showing my age a bit. However, in my later years I have abandoned art for the most part and have been doing a lot with photography. What I have learned so far is that it is expensive and very confusing! <br /><br />I do not know much of anything at this point. I have a Nikon D5200, and I also use my Galaxy Note4 a lot for pictures as well. I am being completely forthcoming in hopes that people will share some insights or pointers for someone who is just starting off. <br /> I am planning some Urban Exploring trips in the near future, as well as shooting at local sporting events in the area. That is why I am here, and hoping to pick some people's brains about what I need to know and get vs. what is nothing more than high priced hype. <br /> If people would like to see what I have done so far, please feel free to see my online galleries on EyeEm or my own website.</p>

<p>www.eyeem.com/u/artabandoned<br /> www.art-abandoned.com<br /> www.facebook.com/artabandonedphotos</p>

<p>I will be posting to other boards shortly, when I figure out how to properly word the questions I am looking for input on. I am not kidding that I am very new to photography and hoping that with some guidance and pruning I guess, that my hobby could be more than just fun, it could produce some good imagery. <br /><br />Thank you for your time and I hope to someday be a contributing force for other newbies! :D</p>

<p>-Drew</p>

<p>Hi Andrew and Welcome:<br>

There are plenty of good learning opportunities here. Some excellent photographers as well. Many here will reach out to help you, introduce you to new ideas and generally have fun. Being a public forum we have our share of abrasive types and windbags, too. Just a heads up. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do not know much of anything at this point. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Join the club. After 35 years as a photographer I'm still learning. Your portfolio shows a sensitive eye for color and composition. You'll not only learn a lot here, I feel you will contribute much. Best wishes and enjoy.</p>

<p>I go back to registered celluloid sheets :>), but that has little to do with photography. My suggestion is to start slowly, read and view many visual artists, whether that's in print (mags), galleries, museums or local art shows. Yes, frame aesthetics are important. While at it, go and practice photo taking and the way digital works, it does not need to be expensive. Anyhoo, feel edgy or comfy, but develope (no pun here) your own style. </p>

<p>I like various types of photography, but there are some things that just don't do much for me and I have no need to obtain optics (or gear) that I'd hardly ever use - this sort of crystallizes after a while. Regardless of what's said here, it's a subjective medium.</p>

<p>Make that first step and enjoy.....oh, and welcome to PNET.</p>

<p>Les</p>