Old Tri-X for sale on eBay, 4x5 ready loads

There is inexpensive 4x5 Tri-X ready load film (ISO 320) for sale on

eBay. Has anybody bought and used this product? I would like to

know how well it performed and did you need to change your developing

time with this "heavy silver laden" film.

Paul

Kodak has never made Tri-X in Readyloads. The auction you're talking about is for old 4 x 5 Graphic Film Packs.

I'll bet you a week's pay that this stuff is at least 40 years old. Don't even think about it. They even have a discussion of how real "artistes" of the cinema genre used to pre-fog their film. Why would they put such a spiel in their listing? I'll bet it's because this film is incredibly fogged. You have no idea how this film has been stored all these years.

If you want something that gets better with age, bid on Cobiba cigars or a vintage Chateau Lafite Rothschild. Film just gets fogged as it gets older.

Not to mention, you would need a film pack adapter.<P>

This same seller looks like he has a number of more-trouble-than-they're-worth film "deals," like bulk rolls of 9-1/2" aerial film "Cut to any size! Easy!"--well if you're shooting an odd format and need to cut down your own film anyway, <i>maybe</i>.

Neal, what developer did you develop the film in and did you extend the development over what you would normally use for modern Professional Tri-X? Apparently this film is acutally roll film and not sheet film, that is why it is thinner and must be tray developed. I am curious because I am going on an extended vacation and this system is much more compact. I do not want to order the product if people have had problems with the film being bad, but if the experience with the 16 exposure packs has been good, then I am interested. The cost of the film is inviting, but the shipping can be very expensive if I order one or two packs. If I am going to order, it will be a substantial amount of film. Your night shot looks good. How were prints with subjects in daylight?

Paul

It might be a good deal. Might not. Costs you a couple of bucks to find out. I found with an old pack of 3x4 film, the base is very thing, hard to work with and it doesn't fit into standard 3x4 film holders (dip racks). Makes washing them tedious. Nice pitcheres you all took with that film. Doesn't look fogged to me.

tim in san jose

I used these until they were discontinued. Easiest way to develop is in the BZTS tubes. Film flatness is fine except along one of the short edges, forgot which one. Ideal for travel. Use neg carrier with glass to keep film flat when enlarging.

By the time you start to really like this product, the supply will have dried up.