old roll of kodak High Speed Infrared

I came across a roll of kodak high speed infrared film that I had forgotten that I had tonight. I was going to

throw it away since it expired in 1996 but then I remembered that this film was discontinued. I am tempted to

shoot it, but first I wanted to ask if anyone has done this before and can tell me if there will be any severe

issues such as extreme loss of contrast or something due to the age of the film. I have not shot black and white

in years so if I were to shoot this roll it would mean that I would need to purchase new chemicals and stuff to

develop it. Thanks in advance for any advise.

It really saddens me that Infrared film has been discontinued; one more nail in the coffin for film. I talk to people all the time that still prefer to shoot film. All of them, like me, had excitedly purchased digital SLRs and then switched back to film. I pray that the manufacture of film will continue in the future, though I feel that the end is in sight. I purchased a roll of Fuji 64T yesterday and the saleman at the camera store had to go in back and hunt through their refrigerators to find it.

Don't despair Nick. Film sales are still pretty healthy. Your local camera store will make it look like film is dying and it's a hassle because they don't make money on it. They make money on the goofs who buy a new Nikon or Canon every 6 months cause they think it's better than what they have.

Infrared isn't totally gone. There is a guy in Europe who buys the $2000 roll of Kodak's EIR False Color Infrared slide film

and then sells 120 rolls of the stuff on ebay. Go to ebay and type EIR and you'll see it. I bought a roll and tried it out and it

is fantastic.