NYI of Photography

<p>Hello from Texas !!!!! :).... I am very new to this site, so please forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong place....<br>

I have always been interested in photography my whole life ...... I am big into the "scrapbooking" thing and I guess in general I love creating ..... I got divorced almost two years ago, and am currently a loan officer.... Needless to say, I am looking for other ways for addidtional income.... I have been praying about it and have decided to go out on a limb and try something that I love to do and could make some additional money, and maybe one day, do this full time.... ( OK.. sorry about tellling you my whole life story, but wanted you to know where I am coming from :)))))))))<br>

I have been googling and googling and was so excited to come across this site today!!!!! yea!!!! I have been looking at doing some online classes with NYI????? Does anyone have any info. about this school???? Or maybe any other schools, or for that matter any advice in gettting started.... I am a very dedicated person, and love to learn new things!!!!<br>

Thank you in advance for any help, and advice...<br>

Have a super day!!!<br>

Brandi :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>I enrolled with the New York Instititute of Photography back in 2001. I found the cirricullum very easy to read and I did learn from the first few courses. I only completed the first few. And here's why.<br>

There's no substitute for someone standing in front of you with a camera also and showing you what does what and how, when and why to stop up of stop down. The information in the course is good information and the teachers (the limited contact I had which was on a cassette tape) was good, not necessarily memorable.<br>

Now this is not a slam on NYIP, but I had more fun buying Ansel Adams' three book, The Camera, The Negative, and The Print. Reading those three books and others, doing it myself, viewing the results and being my own worst critic accomplished two things. First, it drove me to improve myself and my photography, not simply to pass a meaningless test. And Second, (if I had been smarter with my money in the forst place) I would have been able to buy a buttload more film and gear and had even more fun while learning, suffering from G. A. S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) on a mroe regular basis.<br>

Just my 0.02.<br>

ChrisW</p>