nudes, thin vs rubenesque

<p>I am new to portrature and nudes. Nearly all of the nudes I see are beautiful thin models and and I , for now, have been working with a more rubenesque model. If any of you have worked with larger models for nudes and portrature I would like to hear what you have to say about the challenges of working with large models over thin models.</p>

<p>Hello Brian,<br>

Mr Spock from the old Star Trek series is a very talented photographer and had taken some wonderful pictures of 'fleshy' women. Nimoy has a site that you might find interesting as well.<br>

http://www.leonardnimoyphotography.com/<br>

Fat is too often a taboo word for pro-shooters who do fashion work. In the erotic world perhaps there is a little more scope for exploration as, I am sure, there are admirers of oversized women out there. </p>

<p>There isn't a challenge unless you decide there is one. If you were taking a class in drawing from life, you'd probably start with a "rubenesque" model as simple convex shapes are easier to draw and the masses are easier to visualize. If you're trying to sell garments, thin models will show the drape of fabric better and pictures of them will read more easily because the contours have more inflection points.<br>

As you're new to the genre, I suggest keeping it simple. Use a single, somewhat diffused light, such as a flash unit in an umbrella, and experiment with placement, allowing shadows to go to black. You may decide that you're interested in showing contour, volume, or texture, and optimum light placement will be different for each. You'll find a brief tutorial <a href="../learn/nudes/">here</a>.</p>

<p>I had bookmarked a few noteworthy photographers on photo.nets for nudes that go beyond the cliches. Unfortunately a couple of them may have left the site, or my bookmarks are inaccurate. Anyway, one of my longtime favorites is <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=526277">Emil Schildt.</a></p>

<p> </p>