Now *this* is a Panorama stitch

I shot this panorama with a Canon Pro1 at a Louisville Bats AAA baseball game in April, handheld. It actually turned out much better than I would have thought. This is not the final version, as there are still a couple of places where seams can be easily found. I cloned out and smoothed out as many seams as I could and then printed it at 72 inches wide. Surprisingly good quality print too. This jpg is a little jagged because I had to compress this file heavily to make it a reasonable size for web viewing.)

Panoramas are fun!

http://stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com/photos/64714633-O.jpg

I have been stitching photos together now for a few years and still prefer to do it manually in Photoshop. This one took for ever as it had nearly 30 images to blend! I made it a lot more difficult by walking a few steps around the top of the building between each shot so that I could get a view from both sides.<div>00HF8O-31096384.thumb.jpg.bb9ef38303ba9169eaf29ba3e8a37319.jpg</div>

The 'out of focus' parts at the join of two images that have been stitched are as a results of poor 'blending'. After aligning up two adjacent image as best as possible (often includes using the transform tool in some way) I will use the erase tool to soften the actual join, sometimes the best result will be to use the soft edge brush erasure with about 50% opacity. If the two images are not perfectly aligned (usualy as a result of parallax errors) then the result will appear to be out of focus.

Jeff, Stitching images using Photoshop is a complete waste of time and effort. Far better results are obtained by using PTGui or one of the other gui front ends to Panorama Tools and with very considerably less effort. PTGui will output a layered PSD file with layer masks so you can still manually adjust the seams when necessary. But you do avoid all the aligning and transforming, and any barrel distortion is corrected automatically. I don't think there is anything at all to be said for doing it all in Photoshop. There's a stitcher provided in later versions of Photoshop, but it isn't very good.

John, as I said I have been stitching images for some years now and have tried several programs including Canon, Panarama Factory and the one in Photoshop. Maybe there are some better ones now available and I would be interested in any suggestions but so far I prefer to do it manually.

I started digital life with a Canon G2 which had an excellent aid for stitching images by fixing the exposure for each image and displaying half the last image while aligning the next. Now I have the Canon SLR 20D and despite the image quality increase it is much harder to get good quality panaramas. The main problem I have is my super wide angle lens creates a perspective distortion and is very difficult to get the image to align well.

PS the large example I displayed earlier was taken on my G2 and is certainly not my best. I was trying to demostrate that that panaramas can be fun as well as frustrating.<div>00HHf3-31157384.thumb.jpg.f7921b52e29546946e0955b9379af57c.jpg</div>