Nikon Z5 below $1000 in the US

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ShunCheung, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

From "Prime Lens" on Wikipedia. See: Prime lens - Wikipedia

"In film and photography, a prime lens is a fixed focal length photographic lens (as opposed to a zoom lens), typically with a maximum aperture from f2.8 to f1.2."

mike_halliwell and Sanford like this.
  2. "The term can also mean the primary lens in a combination lens system. Confusion between these two meanings can occur if context doesn't make the interpretation clear. People sometimes use alternate terms—primary focal length, fixed focal length, or FFL to avoid ambiguity." [ibidem]
    "The term prime has come to mean the opposite of zoom—a fixed-focal-length, or unifocal lens." [ibidem.]
    "The older, original meaning of prime lens is the main lens in a combination lens system" [ibidem]

Selection bias, Vincent.

3. When using the historic/original definition of a "prime" (as in primary/main) lens, whether the focal length of the primary lens was variable or fixed was irrelevant. As Ilkka has pointed out, for quite some time now "prime" is now applied to designate a lens of fixed focal length. Might refer to them being of higher "prime" quality as opposed to variable focal length lenses (not all of which are actually zooms) that are/were often considered to be of lower optical quality.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    mike_halliwell likes this.
  4. Nikon USA uses the term "prime" to describe their fixed focal length lenses. Are you all old enough to remember the "micro" vs "macro" debate when Nikon named their close up lens the "Micro-Nikkor"?

5. Weren't you quite selective yourself with your initial post in this thread?

6. As I thought, you're living in the dark ages.

In this case, modern usage trumps historical terminology.

You're just being difficult and unhelpful, as usual.

7. You mean consumeristic ignorance trumps true understanding.
    Yes, that is indeed the thing in this enlightened age.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Not really helpful, though. As if we didn't know...

8. Yes... that's another thing. What we know as Macrophotography is properly called Photomacrography: creating enlarged images (of smaller things). Macrophotography means making large photos, or photos, even, of large things. Microphotography means making small photos.

9. You're just being difficult and unhelpful, as usual.

Well, atleast you acknowledge it. That's a promising start, i suppose.

10. How so, Dieter?

11. No, just using the terminology used by our beloved Nikon....Oh, and all current camera and lens manufacturers.

Are you actually in tune with the modern World?

12. No. I'm glad to report that i am not 'in tune with' consumeristic ignorance, but rather remain old fashioned 'in tune with' (f)actual knowledge based on understanding.

A respected PN contributor mentioned (in another thread some time ago) the Humpty Dumpty school of Lexicography. "The modern World", 'ey?

13. And a reply to the first paragraph?

When you believe everyone else is wrong in their use of a term, and you're right, do you think maybe you can just accept it rather than live in, and preach from, the past?

Vincent Peri likes this.
  14. Do you know why your beloved Nikon and other manufacturers followed that consumeristic usage?
    Indeed, because it sells, whether correct or not, and despite that they do know better (not so long ago, you could by both ffl and variable focal length 'primes' from those companies that now follow their customers).
    They would sell lenses labelled "turbo" if they thought it would boost sales. And you would buy them and believe the label would make sense too.

Meanwhile, all that has changed is consumer's (obviously ignorant) perception and the marketing geared to profit most of whatever lives in consumer's confused minds. Not the factual reason why things were and still are called what they are.

You do understand the underlying epistemic, the distinction? If you really think it is a matter of moving along with the times, you probably do not. Ah well...

15. I do understand that the term is derived from lens nomenclature in the past. It doesn't mean the original meaning is wrong, far from it, but that definition lives in the past. Current parlance supersedes that.

However, your bizarre assumption that a manufacturer calls a lens a Prime, rather than the overly wordy Lens of Fixed Focal Length, to 'boost sales' is truly deluded.

No I wouldn't....

and I'm pretty sure most photographers here on Photo.net wouldn't either. You're just making that up.

Anyway, back to the original thread...:D

Why would anyone buy a Z5 rather than a Z6 or indeed, now a Z6ii?

It's still not really cheap enough to be Entry Level.

16. mike_halliwell likes this.
  17. Yup, Language Luddism is futile......:D

It's not necessarily progressing, as in getting better, but it's definitely evolving!

18. Well... if you say so.

Why, would you say, put some manufacturers the word PRIME in big letters prominently on their products? Have you ever seen "fixed focal length lens" on a lens, ever?
    Of course not.
    You would buy (probably have) products advertised as TURBO too. That silliness works quite well.
    If you believe it doesn't, and that manufacturers do not use this to their advantage, and that you wouldn't fall for it, we should have a good talk about what is absurd and who is delusional.

Yes, the usage is changing. We can have a look at how language changes, and also notice how some changes do not succeed or last, and why that is.
    Do that before giving such a lame and ill informed excuse for that apptly named Humpty Dumpty approach to language.

19. If Nikon's aim was to create a buzz with their sub-$1000 camera, they certainly accomplished that, here at least. I think they wanted to match Canon & Sony with a low price entry into full-frame. Anyone have any experience with 7artisans "prime" lenses?

20. Language does change. Here is a rough transcript of some English from ca. 1246 CE. I personally like ulen better than nichtengalen.
    Which reminds me, I have a prime rib-eye steak in the fridge.:rolleyes: