Nikon Z - Protecting sensor from dust and dirt when changing lens

Mary Doo

I researched this item after reading a question from a Facebook friend asking what most people do to clean the sensor. She uses a Sony mirrorless camera and she says the sensor is "dirty beyond anything she has seen" even as she keeps the self-cleaning features on.

So I found a "trick" and tested it on my Z6. I think at least some of you must know about it already. If not, here it goes:

Before disengaging the lens on the camera, keep the camera on but take the battery out. This would cause the shutter to close, automatically shielding the sensor behind it. Now, take the lens out and put on another one.

I am not sure if there's any negative side effect. Perhaps it would be safer if we make sure all image transfer action from buffer to card is completed?

That is the default mode for Canon mirrorless cameras. The shutter is closed when you remove the lens, but you are exposing the very vulnerable shutter blades. I prefer the way Nikon has it.

Nikon is making this possible now with the Z's. I think it is a good feature when one wants to use it, and Nikon has made it possible to do so. It does not happen if one shuts off the camera before changing the lens - which most of use do, I think. The chance of something sticking inside the opening to puncture the shutter can happen but usually not likely.

Edited by Mary Doo

I change lenses outdoors if I am outdoors and need to use another lens. During the 7+ year life of my Olympus EM-5 mk I, I probably had dirt on the sensor but never noticed it. I do know how to check for dirt since my Canon 5D mk I is a dirt magnet have used sensor wipes to clean it's sensor and the sensor of my previous DSLR, both of which lacked any senor cleaning tech.