Nikon Wednesday 2020: #52

Matt Laur

Important:
please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and
please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb
. Note that
this includes photos hosted off-site
(at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you
new to this thread?
The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are
:
. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three Nikon Wednesday images per week, so share some work!

Second to last Nikon Wednesday of 2020, and here I am posting a casual snapshot. Casual, in the sense that I had about 90 seconds to grab a camera, lens, and tripod and try to get this conjunction shot before Jupiter and Saturn dove behind some clouds, and then the horizon. So, overextended the wrong tripod, set up a wobbly wooden deck boards, didn't have time to bracket exposure or even really be sure of focus ... you know, a snapshot! So, this a a pretty aggressive crop of a marginal shot that many astro photographers have of course done a thousand times better But, considering this was out the kitchen door with no warning, I'm going to live with it (since it won't happen again for another 800 years!).

I am reminded, though, how mind-blowing it must have been when Galileo first got a look at those Jovean moons and Saturn's rings. Talk about shaking up your understanding of ... well, everything! Please share some better quality images than mine!

2020-12-22_jupiter_saturn.thumb.jpg.6c86783ebf6d683fc6f5ee737151ecd3.jpg

• Like 5

since it won't happen again for another 800 years!

Well, apparently this time you only have to wait 60 years, the next time Jupiter and Saturn will be getting as close is in March 2080: Great conjunction - Wikipedia

After that, one will have to wait until 2417, with the following one in 2477.

D500, 500 PF

50748621358_c815baaa51_b.jpg[

50749462517_68a21dc363_b.jpg

50749462312_46a9e2df0a_b.jpg

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 5

These two images provide a snapshot of this Covid era. Pho Kim Long is a popular Vietnamese restaurant in the Silicon Valley. In early December 2020, outdoor dining was still allowed in our county, such that they set up a tent in the parking lot for the diners. A few months ago, there was an incident that an elderly driver lost control of his SUV and plowed into some diners in another parking lot, killing one and injured a few more. :eek: Therefore, they parked a few cars around the tent to protect everybody inside. Nowadays, even outdoor dining is no longer permitted so that they are open for take out only. The tent is still there but is all empty.

Both images, Nikon Z6 with 20mm/f1.8 S lens.

_DSC6570.thumb.jpg.ea83bae0e55fe820b2134a4aa320ac90.jpg _DSC6638.thumb.jpg.c2eeca402018671b7fdcca49ddbbc62c.jpg

• Like 5