Nikon Ring Flash for Macro

pete_appleby

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm a D7000 user and for macro I've been using a Tamron 90mm DI 2.8 lens which for the money can produce some amazing results. I do have an SB-600 flash but wondered if anyone could recommend a cheapish ring flash that would provide better results than the SB-600.<br>

thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Why not get a flash bracket and mount the SB-600 off-camera. That will produce better results than a cheap ring flash. The cheap ring flashes have a single tube while the more expensive ones have dual tubes that you can control the ratio with.</p>

<p>Nikon does make the R1C1 macro flash. It works wirelessly. It is not cheap. It comes with two flashes, a commander unit and other accessories. Goggle Nikon R1C1 and read about it. By the way, I have it, and it works very well. I do not use the rings that that come with it but use a fash bracket from Realy Right Stuff.</p>

<p>Joe Smith</p>

<p>Why not shop around and find an original Nikon flash for macro work? If you're actually shooting closeups, particularly in the field, a real ring flash is going to be a bit awkward.</p>

<p>If you're looking for cheap, you could do what I did--track down an SB-21B, which can probably be found for under a hundred bucks if you look around. It won't do TTL with Nikon DSLRs, but you really don't absolutely have to have that feature, since you can see right away what you got--and after a bit and with practice, you should be able to adjust your aperture instinctively based on your shooting distance. There was also the later SB-29 and SB-29s, but those are likely much more expensive.</p>

<p>The SB-21 is, I see available on *Bay currently for quite cheap. Check it out, might be just what you're looking for in your price range.</p>

<p>Why not shop around and find an original Nikon flash for macro work? If you're actually shooting closeups, particularly in the field, a real ring flash is going to be a bit awkward.</p>

<p>If you're looking for cheap, you could do what I did--track down an SB-21B, which can probably be found for under a hundred bucks if you look around. It won't do TTL with Nikon DSLRs, but you really don't absolutely have to have that feature, since you can see right away what you got--and after a bit and with practice, you should be able to adjust your aperture instinctively based on your shooting distance. There was also the later SB-29 and SB-29s, but those are likely much more expensive.</p>

<p>The SB-21 is, I see available on *Bay currently for quite cheap. Check it out, might be just what you're looking for in your price range.</p>

<p>After looking around at various ring flashes, even the Nikon R1C1, and since I already had two SB600 strobes, I came up with this bracket system that is infinitely adjustable with the mini ball heads and not very expensive, especially if you eliminate the quick release units, there is one set on the camera and top of the bracket, another set on the bottom of the bracket and on a tripod. I find it to be an extremely versatile system, easy to pack, especially compared to the RayFlash type units, and all in all, only around $100 US.</p>

<p>If cost is of concern, consider buying one Nikon SB-R200 flash unit. You can also buy a ring that fits onto your macro lens and attach the flash to it. Or attach the flash to a third party macro flash bracket. Kirk, Really right Stuff and Wimberley sell them. You can use your pop up flash on your camera to trigger the flash. Goggle Robert O'Toole Photography Macro flash and you will see some pictures of how he uses this flash as a single flash for macro work. Joe Smith </p>

<p>try the metz mecablitz 15ms 1. more compact than the others with no separate battery pack. works with the nikon cls. i have used it with the d90 and d7000 and it is as good as any on the market.<br>

avoid the nikon r1 if you use the tamron 90. due to the lens extension at 1;1 it will be very front heavy.</p>

<p>I'm late out of the gate for this one, however......</p>

<p>(Rainy weather tinkering)<br /> I used some glossy, somewhat gray card color, duct tape and masked off the upper half, inside portion of a Stoffen diffuser. Mounted on my SB600, on the camera's hot shoe it produced very reasonable results with my 60mm Micro. Tilted slightly upward allows a bit more reach with my MF 105 and plastic fantastic Vivitar 100/3.5. I was able to shoot close to 1:1, hand holding at 1/250 shutter speed.</p>

<p>Dual side lighting would be more ideal, however it is quite cumbersome for field use.</p>