Nikon N8008 (F801) - Is this the most underrated AF SLR?

mfophotos

I'm trying to free myself from the dreaded NAS, but I picked up for $60, a mint-condition

N8008. What I like about it: High eyepoint finder, bright viewfinder, easy to access

control, depth of field preview, and best of all. the ability to meter with MANUAL AI lenses.

Plus it takes AA batteries, and there are no gimmicky controls to figure out. One can also

program the number of multiple exposures without having to go through a complex menu

to do so. A perfect film camera to use with my Lensbaby, and my mf lenses as well as

non-G AF lenses. Basically, I think this has to be the most under-rated AF camera from

Nikon. Anyone else have a candidate for underrated or overrated Nikons?

What are the guidelines for determining whether something is "over/under-rated"?

The main problem for the N8008/F801 and the subsequent S improved models is that they cannot drive AF-S lenses. For that one reason alone I would move up to an N90/F90, and that was probably why you managed to get an N8008 for $60.

Mark, I agree, its an amazing camera. Interestingly enough Its not an 's', so the other posters problem is not yours. I wish my D50 was able to handle my AI lenses. The digital versions other than the D1 and like versions should have been built to. Just my 2 cents, and congrats purchasing a fantastic camera for $60. It IS the most under-rated camera Nikon has made. And that statement is coming from someone who has had one for many many years.

Dave:

1. You can mount Nikon lenses on it.

2. It is a film camera.

3. It has a very decent viewfinder (unlike the later ones) with a real glass prism.

4. It was priced very affordably.

5. A set of truly fantastic lenses were offered for the EM.

6. Even offered in several colors (unlike the black or grey only choices for a camera like the D50).

7. No crop factor to worry about.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

It is my personal opinion.

I have to agree with Vivek.

The EM is terribly under rated. All other gear from Nikon has and

had this level of expectation that had to be fulfilled. The EM

system was understated from the start. Until you used it, you

never really appreciated it.

Vivek, I've owned a lot of different models of Nikon SLR's, and the EM comes way way WAY down at the bottom of the list for me for many reasons. I never shoot in 'A' mode but if your style is more point and shoot, I can see how you would love the EM.

I too have just purchased an n8008s and will receive it next week in the mail from a seller on the auction site. I am looking forward to the high-eyepoint viewfinder as I wear glasses.

Dave

Hi Vivek, when the EM was new, I worked in retail when I was a young pup and just building up my studio business. We were ALWAYS selling EM's and Series E lenses because the Nikon spiffs were so good for the sales people.

The problem was we were taking 40-50% of them back because they were broken. Also, the Series E lenses were some of the worst performing Nikon/Nikkor lenses we tested. I keep seeing on these forums the EM and Series E raised up to a cult status, but for the life of me can't figure out why.

Sounds like a great deal on a great camera. I had an N8008 from ~1990 until about a year ago when I replaced it with a N8008s. I sold the N8008 for $175 with a multi-function back (MF-21). So I'd say that $60 is a fantastic price.

The camera does have some limitations in terms of focus speed but that only becomes an issue for action shots. For everything else it is a great body.

Stan

Yes, very underrated.

It may have AF/AF-S drawbacks, but as a body for manual-focus lenses, it's one of the few Nikon film bodies that gives you a working meter and 1/8000 shutter speed with them. The others, I believe, are F90(x), F100, F4, F5 and F6, which all cost much more.

The F801s (with the spot meter) is overshadowed by the F90x, but for MF lenses I can't see any advantage to the later camera, and it has a smaller exposure scale in the meter display and no inbuilt capability for multiple exposures.

I sold my F801s when I sold my SLR stuff, but now I'm back into it I keep thinking about one - looked at one on the bay last night.

I bought an F801 when it first came out. I really didnt understand at the time how good the viewfinder was. When I had a little blip in finances I had to sell it and the two lenses I had. Just a couple of years ago I had read some favourable reviews of the Canon Elan 7E and bought one without handling it first. I could not believe how dim the viewfinder was. Eye Control is neat, yes, but the viewfinder really disappointed me. I had assumed, stupidly, that viewfinders would be better than the "old" F801. Big surprise for me.

So I bought a used F801S, which has the faster AF and the spot metering capability and I use it mainly with Nikkor AI lenses and it is a great camera. Nice feel, nice controls, uses AA batteries, and that excellent, excellent viewfinder. The design of the exposure display scale in the bottom of the viewfinder is very well thought out.

For $60 for a F801, it seems to me you did pretty well. Have fun with it.

To those who have a collection of Nikon cameras:

My point is that regardless of the limits, if EM is used (for photography that is) then it is FAR FAR better than an F5 in a vitrine cupboard.

If you don't like any logo on an EM or a D2X, it is easy to mask it. :-)

Vivek,

Comparing it to an F5 is interesting because the F5 is usually used in a very similar way, in Program mode with no manual override needed most of the time as it has a very accurate meter.

I had an EM for a short time and just hated the sound it made and the feeling I had in my hands when I released the shutter. A lot of mirror shake and an ugly sound. I was coming from an FE2 so that was my basis for comparison. Plus most of my shooting is with slide film, and I use the zone system when shooting slide film to fine tune the final exposure. So I guess for my style of shooting, the EM is out.

In any case, I'll take an n8008s anyday.

Dave

Who in the world would buy an F5 and use it in program mode??

As for the 8008, by all accounts a great camera. I've never known anyone who owned one

who didn't love it.

Personally, the Nikon everyone hated but I loved was the 2020. Sure the AF barely

worked, but it had a focusing screen that encouraged manual focus and I took some great

pictures with it, a long time ago.

-- Mark

I'm not an EM fan because there isn't complete manual control available, but the 8008 series is really a bargain. I had an "s" coming from an FE, and it was quite a change for me at that time. I use a spot meter a lot (well, since I got the 8008s anyway) and it's a really great tool. All this for well under $100, and the only downside is that it doesn't work with AFS or VR. Sure it's not as fast as an F5, but you won't find a bigger bargain out there.