Nikon D810 used for close up work in a garden setting

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ellis_vener_photography, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Today Really Right Stuff published a "Behind The Shot " blog entry featuring a photo I shot in mid-morning sunlight at the Atlanta
    Botanical Garden. The gear used was a D810, AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, pieces of my RRS panorama rig, Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball, and an
    older Gitzo tripod. http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/bts-ellisvener-2/

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Arca Swiss B1 and Gitzo 1341? Come on, Ellis you should ask Joe to send you a tripod and a head. :)

3. Yes, for loooong term evaluation :)

4. Lovely shot!

5. Very nice, great write up, but that is one gnarly looking setup you shoot with ;)

6. Ellis, I adore your contributions here, sir.
    Question... Do you feel that using DNG instead of the NEF doesn't "lose" anything? I know there are some parts of the file's "instructions" that get lost.
    I also love that weird hazy early morning light, but am usually too exhausted from not sleeping to drag myself out of bed... GREAT stuff, man.

7. No I don't think I loose anything-except a sidecar .xmp file- by converting the NEF (or a Canon .cr2 or .crw file) to the
    DNG format.

I think I shot this around 10am. You snooze, you lose!

Shun: that would be nice but I don't think its gonna happen :(

8. "Achieving simplicity is always harder than it looks?
    Pithy! I hear that a lot about Mozart - the trick is to make the difficult sound easy. Well done photo, by the way.

9. Thank you Edward.