Nikon D70, easiest way to do self portrait

RaymondC

<p>Hi, I have a D70, lens, no flash, maybe a tripod, on travel I am going alone how do I do a self portrait with the icons at the background?</p>

<p>The thing I am worried about is unfocussed images. <br>

Does a narrow aperture with closest focus work?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I'd get an ML-L3 wireless shutter release, inexpensive and saves the 5 second / 10 second dash back to your photo site.<br />As for getting focus right, simply set up your frame and estimate where you will be inside the frame, either use AF lock or manually focus to where you want focal point. Find the wireless remote function in your menu, activate it, then use the ML-L3 in a closed hand (inconspicuous - not obvious) to trip the shutter at the desired moment.</p>

<p>Try this at home to perfect the technique before you travel. Clearly a small tripod is going to be of major assistance. This may not be the easiest method, but it works for me.</p>

<p> Happy travels!</p>

<p>The timer on the D70 focuses when the shutter button is pushed not when the picture is taken. S smaller Fstop, (f11 or f16) would help or using something in the scene for the camera to focus on like a cushion that can be tossed out of the picuture. that is what I do when I am testing my on site wirk.</p>

<p>Ray,<br>

In part, it will depend on how far you are from the object of interest. But from your description, it sounds like you are interested in self-portraits in front of rather large objects - maybe buildings, landscape, etc. If my guess is correct, you will have a lot of latitude if you use a smaller f/stop - although not popular here, you might even find you want to go as small as f/22. In addition to using the remote, or a timer delay, you might want to consider using manual focus and setup to take a shot by pre-focusing on an object where you will be standing. When you do use a small aperture, you'll need to use a slower shutter speed or increase your iso to get an equivalent exposure. In other words, if you find you are taking these shots in dim light, you might need to make some adjustments. BTW- don't forget your D70 has a built in flash. While it won't light-up a room, the built in flash might be able to give you some fill if all else fails.<br>

One other thing to remember is to be a little generous on framing your composition - you can always crop, but you can't reverse crop. Unless you are planning on printing 16 by 20 prints, you'll have some wiggle room.<br>

It might be more information then you need, but Bob Atkins has a nice article on DOF here on pnet http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/ Another good source on exposure is Fed Parker's Ultimate Exposure Computer http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#evfclux (thank you Lex!),<br>

Finally, the best advice I can give you is to practice all of this BEFORE you take your trip. Practice as much as possible before you take pictures you actually care about.<br>

Have fun!</p>

<p>It sound like you want yourself in focus as well as various landmark buildings/structures. Probably f11 is a good starting point. Essentially, you want to be cleaver about finding a spot to focus on and then being prepared to stand in that spot. For example, if you are walking in a city and see a possible good shot, perhaps there is a light pole on the street you can stand next to or even lean against that will aid your composition and all you to focus. Focus on the spot, and then reframe the picture (using you tripod, of course) to anticipate yourself in the frame. If my be beneficial to take several photos at various f-stops. Also, You can always focus on the ground and then re-frame the pic and stand in that spot. There is no reason you can not obtain a very sharp image of yourself if you focus correctly. </p>

<p>View the histogram on your camera display to check for overexposure, etc. Also, you can review the image you just took and then 'zoom in' to check focus. As for an external flash, it is often handy to use outdoors if your back is aiming toward the primary light source for 'fill' light. It will lift your subject out of the shadows so it is not underexposed. Yes, you can sometimes fix this in an image editor, however you will typically over expose the BG. I think once you experiment with a few techniques that work you will be well on your way and acheive good results.</p>

<p> </p>