Nikon Coolscan V

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by philip_maus, Dec 7, 2008.

1. I'm sure this question has been posted somewhere, but it's a quicky and I couldn't find this answer. Do the Nikon 35mm Coolscans accept more than one (1) 35mm negative or slide at a time out of the box and without accessory adapters? I'm wondering if I can scan more then one B&W negative per "session" and without having to cut up my film strips? I can see that the Coolscan 9000 models have holders that can scan multiple MF and 35mm negatives at one mount, is this similar to the way the 35mm Coolscans work? I used to have (still do actually) a Pacific Image film scanner which took one slide at a time, but had a strip film loading "port" at the top. This never worked very well and I am interested in upgrading to a Coolscan for B&W negative scanning. Any info or advice would be appreciated.

2. The Coolscan V (and Coolscan 5000) comes with two standard adapters - the SA-21, which scans strips (either negative or unmounted slide strips) from 2 to 6 frames in length, and the MA-21, which accepts single mounted slides. There is also an optional FH-3 film holder that is used in conjunction with the MA-21 to scan damaged strips or single frames.

3. "There is also an optional FH-3 film holder that is used in conjunction with the MA-21 to scan damaged strips or single frames."

I use the FH-3 rather than the SA-21 feeder, if for no other reason than the fact that it allows a full, uncropped scan. The SA-21 crops a small amount vertically (ie in the short dimension). And I'm not sure if this is what Brooks means by "damaged", but the FH-3 is all but required to get the end frames of a strip flattened when the strip is moderately to heavily curved. The FH-3 can be used to scan from 1 to 6 unmounted frames.
    Having said all of that - unfortunately Nikon no longer offers the FH-3.
    Scott

4. FH-3 is available, but no longer ships with the V...I don't know if the V is produced anymore, for that matter.

5. As far as I know, the Coolscan V has been discontinued and Nikon plans to exit the business. Don't know how reliable this information is.

6. Hi Scott,
    The "damaged strips" was a quote directly out of the Nikon Coolscan V manual. They were referring to strips that would not feed into the SA-21, usually those with damaged sprocket holes or torn ends.
    So far, I have not had any of those, but if I do, I am prepared.

7. jtk

jtk

I use FH3 for frames at ends of strips. SA21 tends not to hold those end frames flat enough for even focus, but FH3 does hold those end frames flat.

8. FH-3 is available, but no longer ships with the V...I don't know if the V is produced anymore, for that matter.

Hmm. I still don't think Nikon's making them anymore, but they do seem to be available in a few places, and I'm pleased to see that. I haven't been able to find them listed at B&H for quite some time now, for example.

I think I'll try ordering a spare from Adorama and see if I can actually get one.
    Scott

9. BTW, Adorama has the FH3 as free shipping at $24.95.

Cool. I'll get one ordered, and not worry so much about not having a backup in case I get clumsy and break mine someday. They are somewhat, umm... lightly built.
    Scott