<p>I'm sure this question has been posted somewhere, but it's a quicky and I couldn't find this answer. Do the Nikon 35mm Coolscans accept more than one (1) 35mm negative or slide at a time out of the box and without accessory adapters? I'm wondering if I can scan more then one B&W negative per "session" and without having to cut up my film strips? I can see that the Coolscan 9000 models have holders that can scan multiple MF and 35mm negatives at one mount, is this similar to the way the 35mm Coolscans work? I used to have (still do actually) a Pacific Image film scanner which took one slide at a time, but had a strip film loading "port" at the top. This never worked very well and I am interested in upgrading to a Coolscan for B&W negative scanning. Any info or advice would be appreciated. </p>

<p>The Coolscan V (and Coolscan 5000) comes with two standard adapters - the SA-21, which scans strips (either negative or unmounted slide strips) from 2 to 6 frames in length, and the MA-21, which accepts single mounted slides.  There is also an optional FH-3 film holder that is used in conjunction with the MA-21 to scan damaged strips or single frames.</p>

<p><em>"There is also an optional FH-3 film holder that is used in conjunction with the MA-21 to scan damaged strips or single frames."</em><br>

<br /> I use the FH-3 rather than the SA-21 feeder, if for no other reason than the fact that it allows a full, uncropped scan.  The SA-21 crops a small amount vertically (ie in the short dimension).   And I'm not sure if this is what Brooks means by "damaged", but the FH-3 is all but required to get the end frames of a strip flattened when the strip is moderately to heavily curved.  The FH-3 can be used to scan from 1 to 6 unmounted frames.</p>

<p>Having said all of that - unfortunately Nikon no longer offers the FH-3.</p>

<p>Scott<br>

</p>

<p>Hi Scott,</p>

<p>The "damaged strips" was a quote directly out of the Nikon Coolscan V manual. They were referring to strips that would not feed into the SA-21, usually those with damaged sprocket holes or torn ends.</p>

<p>So far, I have not had any of those, but if I do, I am prepared.</p>

<p><em>FH-3 is available, but no longer ships with the V...I don't know if the V is produced anymore, for that matter.</em><br>

<em><br /> </em><br>

Hmm.  I still don't think Nikon's making them anymore, but they do seem to be available in a few places, and I'm pleased to see that.  I haven't been able to find them listed at B&H for quite some time now, for example. <br>

<br /> I think I'll try ordering a spare from Adorama and see if I can actually get one.</p>

<p>Scott</p>