Nikon 18-105mm f/3,5-5,6G DX VR vs Nikon 18-55mm f/3,5-5,6 G AF-P DX VR

alan_kovarik

I've been told the 18-55 is sharper. However, I traded my 18-55 to my daughter for the 18-105. It is not the sharpest lens in my bag, but it is absolutely the most flexible and convenient, and is my primary walking-around lens. I find it's focal length range to be effective and useful, particularly on a DX camera like my D7100 or your D3300. It is also reasonably lightweight and not excessively bulky (though larger than the 18-55 for sure). If it is your only lens, then I would keep it.

Is there a way how to turn off the focus ring in auto mode?

No. Not to my knowledge. The point is that this lens allows you to grab the focus ring any time and override the autofocus, should you feel the need. The focus ring is sufficiently narrow and placed such that I don't find I move it unintentionally, particularly if my fingers are positioned to manipulate the large zoom ring.

I don't know about sharpness, but I am with heim and David, keep the 18-105.

I have the 18-140 and really like the flexibility of the longer zoom over the 18-55. I don't have to carry 3 lenses like I used to do in the film days.

To me, the 18-55 is just a bit short on the long end, to use as a general purpose lens.

The 18-70 is a better GP range.

If weight and size is a MAJOR issue, then every little bit makes a difference.

Only then would I go for the 18-55.

I have never accidentally defocused either my 18-70 or 18-140 lens. I just keep my fingers on the ZOOM ring and away from the focus ring. If you hold the camera + lens right, you don't have to worry about accidentally turning the focus ring.

The important consideration made above is video work; the AF-P lenses are better for videowork, otherwise the 18-105VR is a really nice lens. Sharpness-wise, if there is a difference, it'll be minor, but the additional focal length is mighty useful, and the frankly I find the 18-105 nicer handling - the focus ring is in an useful, usable place and the instant override is a benefit more often than a risk (AF can miss it, and with the instant override the 18-105 has you can at least take control immediately).