Nikkormat FT2. Residue on Shutter Blades

<p>A mixed bag from my eBait purchases that came in the mail today. The Leica R lens had significant haze, and the seller is forcing me to file an eBay claim to get him to accept a return. The Ikonta arrived with a non operative shutter and lots of haze internally, but that seller will take it back. I may keep it though, it shows promise. The good news was the Nikkormat FT2, which is as sweet as can be. It has a clean viewfinder, an accurate meter, and a shutter that makes that famous Copal "snick". It also has a pre dented prism (artfully photographed to not show up on the photo here), so I won't have to stress over denting it myself. Unfortunately, there is a residue of some sort on the shutter blades. Should I just leave it alone, or attempt to clean it w/ a very light touch and maybe lighter fluid on a Q-tip, or artists brush?</p><div>00bnU8-541148384.JPG.1c10e43dca2e515a78e1345993beb5c8.JPG</div>

<p>I once owned a Canon EOS 650 that I bought for $10 at a tag sale. The shutter had black "goo" on the shutter blades (Copal Square) like your Nikkormat. Patiently working with Q-tip lightly moistened with Ronsonal lighter fluid, and using ever so light pressure on the blades(very fragile) I was able to clean the debris. This gunk is caused by a rotting foam bumper at the bottom of the shutter housing. The residue on your Nikkormat may be oil residue and cleaning like I did may resolve the issue. DIY attempts at repair or cleaning is to be at your own risk. The dent on the prism housing may be removed with those lightly moistened tiny suction cups with hooks obtained from kitchen wares department at your local hardware/ department/ or Dollar store. Good luck on your attempts.</p>

<p>Steve, the residue just looks like a wear mark (bright spots) on the blades. Just a sign that the camera has been well loved as they say with used cars!<br>

I can't imagine that will cause a problem and would just leave it be. Those Nikkormats are very hard to kill.</p>

<p>I'm not an expert, but I agree with Tony on the wear mark thing. I have a Topcon RE-2 with that same Copal shutter (at least I think its the same shutter) and it has the same kind of slight wear marks along its edges. No light leaks and the shutter works perfectly. I was concerned about it 20 years ago, and it has taken about 1,000 photos since then with nary a hiccup.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. It really is some sort of residue sitting on the blades, although it does look like wear marks in the photo. I am just going to leave it alone. The lens side of the shutter is spotless. I wonder what happened? Paul, I had one of those Canons w/ the shutter problem like yours, and that shutter was so fragile looking that I left it alone (and it used to stick too). You have good, steady hands to have fixed yours.<br>

<br /> This is such a nice camera! I used to have an EL very similar to this one it, but it's shutter made a loud, metallic "ping" when it fired that drove me crazy. Too bad, because I really liked the AE feature. The shutter on this one sounds so damped and pleasant that I will just live w/ the lack of AE, as all the ELs seem to make that "ping" sound. I might try that suction cup idea. The cat has a lot of toys w/ that sort of thing on the ends (stuff she plays with for 2 minutes, then never plays with again), and if she will let me I'll try one and see if it works.</p>

<p>If the residue comes off with denatured alcohol it's from a piece of foam above the shutter blades and under the viewfinder. If you can, replace the foam. The top cover will have to come off to do it. My FT is one of my favorite cameras.</p>

<p>These vertical shutters are not as delicate as you might think. I'm rather ham fisted but I've successfully cleaned a number of early Eos shutters, which entails not only cleaning off the visible gunk using a Q tips, but also slipping paper soaked in alcohol between the blades, and scooping out the remains of the rotted bumper from the bottom using strips of card or similar. I doubt if you will do any harm just by carefully cleaning the stuff you can see on the surface as you suggest. However I would also support the "if it works, don't fix it" argument.</p>

<p>The dent is not a problem. Remove the top cover and flat on a wooden surface, and <strong><em>gently</em></strong> tap the dent back out with a wooden drift (I have a piece of broomstick handle that I use for filter ring dent removal). I had a deep dent on the bottom cover of mine and I got it almost perfect. Your's isn't bad.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"dent on the prism housing may be removed with those lightly moistened tiny suction cups with hooks obtained from kitchen wares department" <strong><em>Paul W.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Huh? Com'on Paul you must be joking...<br /> I'm certainly with <em><strong>Rob H.</strong></em> on the manner of correction for the dent.<br /> <br /> The use of Naphtha (Ronsonal lighter fluid) due to the lack of moisture attraction, is a far better alternative then alcohol.<br>

(Thin metal blades can easily corrode)</p>

While a firm believer in " If it ain' broke don't fix it" I too have, like apparenty three other here the experience with the EOS. My neighbor gave me his EOS as broken. I diddled with it a bit until Irealized this was the problem and like John S. found them not too delicate, but of coruse practive care. Glad to hear at least his one is in shooting condition. Also I see your eBay experience is like mine!!