New York street photography permits

bobatkins

Heard on the news today (New York radio station) that there has been some sort

of official court ruling that you do NOT require a permit to shoot handheld

video or still images on the streets of New York.

Some might think "Duh.." of course you don't, but this was in response to an

incident where a documentary film maker was detained by the police for

shooting handheld video without a film makers permit.

Can't see any online news reports yet, but as I said, I head it on an NYC

radio station this morning. Perhaps someone else can post a link when it

appears on the web somewhere (and I'm sure it will).

"...So this means a photographer can use a tripod without a permit?..."...the way I read it, yes, with the stipulation that it is normally a handheld device, and that use of a single tripod shall not exceed 10 minutes including set up and tear down. So, basically it's a very quick use of one tripod. Assuming, of course, the proposal is adopted as is. Hope someone can find the final version of this come next week. would be nice to tote around in the city.

Although, based on other rules of access that I am aware of, you can't block the public from walking on a sidewalk or block an entrance/exit to anyplace.

errr.......correction.......the time shall not be 10 minutes or more. I guess 9 minutes and 59 seconds is fine.......heh. Also, there is something about the amount of people involved in the shot...apparently subjects too. Althoough, they should clear that up to mean subjects being posed......not just passers-by......I think.

"So this means a photographer can use a tripod without a permit?"

Realistically, you always could, unless cops decided you were impeding foot traffic or otherwise potentially creating a pedestrian safety issue ... or just if they wanted to hound someone.

There have always been arcane laws that most people ignored but remained on the books to trap the slow-footed.

http://home.nyc.gov/html/film/pdf/stillpermit.pdf

Check out these New York street photographs for something quite different: <ahref=http://www.photoeye.com/gallery/forms/index.cfm?image=1&id=183431&imagePosition=1&Door=2&Portfolio=Portfolio1&Gallery=2&Page=>Go here</a>

Nice, but it doesn't really address the Sharma case--he was basically detained for

photographing while Muslim--I think he's actually a Hindu, but it's not like some folks can

be bothered to know the difference, and it shouldn't matter anyway.

The police come across this situation again, I have great faith they'll find a way to make

trouble if it suits their whim, no matter what rules and laws are proclaimed. Most cops are

good, but it only takes one jerkwad in a group

to turn a situation ugly.

Over the last few years I have spoken to the City office that handles permits, and the response I always got was the permit can only be for one intersection, rendering it less than useful. When I can get through I will call them, but something tells me they will continue to find a way to make life difficult. Of course whether a policy change ever gets to the police on the streets who seem to dislike tripods is another story.