New standards in performance

paul_b.1

<p>Oliver - </p>

<p>It's the newest Canon D series - ISO in trick mode to 204800 - although I haven't seen any images actually shot at that. </p>

<p>From the link provided - the images at 12800 to 51200 look good, but that is on the web and downsized significantly. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>There is a parallel thread on the Canon EOS Forum: <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZUt9">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZUt9</a></p>

<p>As usual, I don't judge qualtiy based on small JPEG images.</p>

<p>To me, the issue with Canon sports DSLR is that they have gone from the $3500 1D Mark III (APS-H) to the $5000+ 1D Mark IV (APS-H) to the $6800 1D X (full 35mm frame). I sure hope that Nikon can stay around $5000 in their next offering.</p>

<p>Stage lighting is a lot brighter than most people think, so I'm not overly impressed by those pix - especially at such a small size.<br>

But really, how much ISO do we actually <em>need</em>?<br>

The attched isn't exactly an action shot, but the shutter was fast enough to stop the Bongo player's hands. At "only" 6400 ISO, the shutter speed was a comfortable 1/125th and the aperture was nowhere near wide-open at f/7.1. And I still had 2 stops of WEP ISO in hand.</p>

<p>(BTW, for those of you that have never played Combat Flight Sim; WEP stands for "War Emergency Power") </p><div>00ZUye-408375584.JPG.3475703c4763e1afdf1050f07207b45a.JPG</div>

To my eye those hands are quite blurry despite the tiny image. I would use at least 1/250s to 1/500s to get

acceptable sharpness.

Night clubs often have much dimmer lighting than that. I've had situations where there was no way to get sharp

images without going to f2 or f/1.4 and ISO 3200-6400. I don't use ISO 6400 really except in the direst emergency.

The quality I'm looking for isn't there at 6400 (D3/D700), but I have obtained good results at up to ISO 4000 when the

exposure is perfect. If I wanted to use zooms, I would definitely want ISO 12800-25000. With primes I can make do with the "old" D3.

The price increase reflects increased functionality/image quality, and the increased value in the eyes of the target

market. If someone can replace both a 1Ds III and 1D Mk IV with one 1D X and can get bonus high ISO settings,

greater fps, and improved AF and video, then it is great value. Unfortunately they will lose pixel density, AF with f/8

maximum aperture lenses, and so there may be some (many?) who are not interested in the update.

For me a 18MP FX camera would be perfect, since I shoot a lot at high ISO and would like more resolution for

landscape/macro shots as well as studio portraits (and the ability to shoot at ISO 100 would be very welcome). One

camera that can do both would save a lot of money. For me the high frame rates mean nothing; I use 9fps maybe

twice a year and I could easily give that up. I think doing 14fps with the mirror going up and down is madness ;-) A

solution with EVF and phase detect AF in the main sensor would be a more reasonable approach and would allow a

far greater increase in frame rate than shown in the 1D X. I suspect that is what we will see in the D4: a hybrid

E/OVF and very fast live view AF with frame rates close to that of the V1. Not that I will have much use for it

personally, but there are people who will use it and record new things.

<p>Really, isn't it about time we ditched mirrors altogether and went fully EVF? To be honest with myself, if I want really accurate focusing then liveview is the only way. But I'd want a "picture-in-picture" screen showing a magnified focusing spot inside the full-frame, otherwise it's too slow to use all the time.</p>