New Samyang 135 F2

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Sandy Vongries, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Anyone have one and been using it on a Nikon? Various reviews on other well known photo sites. Given that it is manual focus, it does sound interesting at the price.

2. I have one, and it's excellent. I will try and post some shots tomorrow (EST).

3. Pardon my curiosity, how are you planning to make use of f2 at 135mm?
    Get almost in focus, trigger a burst and hope to nail a shot while you slowly crank towards the other end of OOF?
    Or is it meant as a focusing aperture, knowing you need 2 stops safety to do a head shot at f4?
    I never handled a Df but recall getting close to nowhere with a wide open manual 135/2.8. - That's why I am asking.

4. Came across an article on another well known photo site, then a couple of reviews. Curious myself - fast glass is always expensive, and sometimes useful. In addition to DF & D 750, I have several F models which would work with the lens as well. Not certain I want one, but like the Nikon DC lenses, interesting and relatively affordable.

5. I've used my FD mount 135mm f/2 extensively, albeit much less than my AI-s one. I've never found focusing particularly difficult.

Probably 10 years ago, I took a portrait of a gentleman at church using the FD mount 135 f/2 at f/2. He liked it well enough that it's been the author's portrait he has used in the half dozen books he's written since.

I love 135mm f/2s so much that I consider them a requirement for a comprehensive 35mm system, and I wasn't ready to sideline my FD mount equipment until I had an F mount one.

6. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

contax-135mm-20-960x640.jpg
    :)

contax-200mm-20-960x640.jpg

contax-200mm-20-960x640.jpg

7. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

I couldn't get rid of the second one. Sorry :)

8. Here are a few shots.

FB_010218-3.jpg

9. Thanks, nice!
    Almost never use burst or bracket. The following with Nikkor 135 / 2.8 AI converted by John White. At 2.8
    DSC_4181 (682x1024).jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. I've got a manual focus 135/2 Nikkor and while it isn't perfect for everything there are times when it is exactly right. I foolishly let go of my first one and looked around for quite a while for a replacement. Found it here and couldn't be happier.

Rick H.