New Samyang 135 F2

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Sandy Vongries, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Moderator Staff Member

Anyone have one and been using it on a Nikon? Various reviews on other well known photo sites. Given that it is manual focus, it does sound interesting at the price.

2. I have one, and it's excellent. I will try and post some shots tomorrow (EST).

3. Pardon my curiosity, how are you planning to make use of f2 at 135mm?
    Get almost in focus, trigger a burst and hope to nail a shot while you slowly crank towards the other end of OOF?
    Or is it meant as a focusing aperture, knowing you need 2 stops safety to do a head shot at f4?
    I never handled a Df but recall getting close to nowhere with a wide open manual 135/2.8. - That's why I am asking.

4. Sandy Vongries

Came across an article on another well known photo site, then a couple of reviews. Curious myself - fast glass is always expensive, and sometimes useful. In addition to DF & D 750, I have several F models which would work with the lens as well. Not certain I want one, but like the Nikon DC lenses, interesting and relatively affordable.

5. I've used my FD mount 135mm f/2 extensively, albeit much less than my AI-s one. I've never found focusing particularly difficult.

Probably 10 years ago, I took a portrait of a gentleman at church using the FD mount 135 f/2 at f/2. He liked it well enough that it's been the author's portrait he has used in the half dozen books he's written since.

I love 135mm f/2s so much that I consider them a requirement for a comprehensive 35mm system, and I wasn't ready to sideline my FD mount equipment until I had an F mount one.

6. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

contax-135mm-20-960x640.jpg
    :)

contax-200mm-20-960x640.jpg

contax-200mm-20-960x640.jpg

7. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

I couldn't get rid of the second one. Sorry :)

8. Here are a few shots.

FB_010218-3.jpg

9. Sandy Vongries

Thanks, nice!
    Almost never use burst or bracket. The following with Nikkor 135 / 2.8 AI converted by John White. At 2.8
    DSC_4181 (682x1024).jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. I've got a manual focus 135/2 Nikkor and while it isn't perfect for everything there are times when it is exactly right. I foolishly let go of my first one and looked around for quite a while for a replacement. Found it here and couldn't be happier.

Rick H.