New Learning

Sandy Vongries

<p>Well, for quite a few weeks now, I have been fooling around with macro, first with a Macro Module on a Ricoh GXR, Then with an old 55/3.5 AI Converted Micro Nikkor on my DF, and with a Tokina SD 28-70 AI Macro zoom. I finally ordered a used AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D which came in yesterday's mail. <br>

First batch I took weren't great, second batch a considerable improvement as I figured a few things out. <br>

Trying to learn a bit more, I looked around on the internet last night for a Manual for the lens, couldn't find what I wanted, so I looked up the lens on Ken Rockwell's site. Despite some remarks, I have found the majority of his info useful and reliable. He explained the features of the lens, then mentioned that it would work with the TC 200 or TC 201 Teleconverter. Is that an understatement. I mounted the lens with TC 201 on my DF and went into the Garden. The shots aren't perfect, but are the best of the type I have ever succeeded in taking. The working distance is great, and the quality is quite good allowing mid range crops. With a 2.8, you still have a 5.6 lens, not that you would be shooting at the low end much..<br>

I haven't done any prints yet, will have to see how that goes. This morning's shots are posted in the Mostly Bugs folder. If you have the gear, and haven't tried the combo, I would highly recommend it.<br>

The second tip was on using a TTL flash mounted on camera with the lens or combo to make it easier to stop the moving critters. I am looking forward to trying that and will post results.</p>

<p>Sandy, I am of a different mind. Because extension tubes only allow a closer focus, they result in very tight working distances with macro lenses, which already are designed for very close focus. Try it and see what you get. I like teleconverters, if needed, because they maintain a good working distance. When I put extension tubes on my macro lenses I find I end up so close to the subject that the camera/lens cast a shadow on the subject. The 105mm may give you enough baseline working distance to avoid this problem. Congrats on the new lens. I'm jealous.</p>

<p>David, the 105 with the TC 201 is very good. I have the necessary stuff from long ago, various Nikon rings, bellows, etc., so I will try several variations, but it is hard to imagine something more convenient than the current setup. It was raining most of the day or I'd have been out trying Ken's on camera flash macro suggestion. The lens (this is an old model) was pristine -- $315 with shipping from Japan. Really good fun with the extender, just need to improve technique. It is a very sharp lens used as a prime as well. Thanks for your input! Sandy</p>

<p>Turned pretty nice late in the day, so out with the same 105 / TC 201 rig previously described plus a little Metz 24 AF 1 for Nikon on camera. Sixteen of about fifty shots taken in brief sessions are posted in a folder <strong>Macro with On Camera Flash</strong>. I used Aperture and Spot metering, Vivid, -0.3. I changed to a smaller aperture in the second set. There were issues with variations in exposure, so I will need to experiment with the various metering settings, though spot is what I use most often, matrix is likely better in this application. I think there is tremendous potential in this very simple tip. Any suggestions, comments appreciated.</p>

<p>Sandy, if you have an older Nikon Tc14B 1.4x manual focus teleconverter, try that on the Nikon 105 D lens. It will fit on it and probably result is less image quality degradation than a 2x tc. A tc multiplies focal length;an extension tube allows you to get closer and that will give you more magnification too but without any loss of image quality. And with Nikon and some third party extension tubes, you can use an extension tube plus a tc. <br /> One of the best books written to learn macro photography is Closeups in Nature by John Shaw. It is out of print but you should be able to find it used.<br>

https://www.amazon.com/John-Shaws-Closeups-Nature-Shaw/dp/0817440526/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466100030&sr=1-1&keywords=john+shaw+closeups+in+nature</p>

<p>Joe</p>