New Canon digital SLR - the 20D is official

niklas_nikitin

High resolution real 20d picture in this link, <a

href="http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html">http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/photokit_EOS20D.dcr.html</a>.

<p>

Spec p堲0D<br>

8.2 MegaPixels<br>

DIGIC II <br>

1:1.6x Crop <br>

9 Point focusing<br>

1/8000s Max Shutter speed <br>

5fps Continuous speed <br>

25 frame buffer <br>

EF-s support <br>

E-TTL II support <br>

0.2sec startup time <br>

50g lighter than 10D <br>

<p>

Price US$1600 RRP <br>

(Street price should be closer to 1300 they say) <br>

<p>

August 20 - Announcement <br>

September 20 - On Sale <br>

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm more excited about the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM sitting on that thing.

"

Imagine you were offered a film camera with a 28-135 f/5.6-f/8 IS USM lens (similar depth of field range on full frame) - and for the sake of the argument, sufficient IS to make up for the stop difference and AF that works at f/8 - would you feel excited? I sure wouldn't. It just turns the 20D into an upmarket, oversized digital P&S.

"Excellent news. Now all I need is for 10D owners to sell their current model and buy the 20D. This will flood the market and make the 10D cheap enough for me to purchase 2nd hand. LOL."

Don't be waiting for mine. The 10D is good enough to last well beyond it's production cycle. Somehow I don't think it'll stop taking great pictures after the 20D is released. This isn't like the D30 with a needed resolution upgrade or the D60 with low light AF issues.

>I'm about as excited about that lens as I am the current 28-105 f4-5.6.

Why not compare it to the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS? That is the range it covers 27mm(17*1.6)-136(85*1.6) f/4-5.6 IS. It is a bit slower on the wide end, but just a touch. Your only other options from Canon to get that wide are the 18-55, 17-40, and 16-35. I'd say this fills in nicely.

"I think this is a hoax. Canon's website is, canonusa, not u.s.a. canon"

It could still be. But go to the two URL's below and see the difference for yourself:

http://usa.canon.com/html/canonindex.html

http://www.canonusa.com/html/canonindex.html

And another funny thing: If you take the www out of the original poster's URL, it gives an error.

- Harman

Well, let's see how fast Bob pulls this thread. . . .

Well, don't get me wrong.. .The specs on this alleged 20D are clearly superior to a 10D.

Clearly, the specs -and probably the price- are right where everyone predicted. If I was in the market TODAY, I would definately wait for this camera.

So why is my reaction *yawn*?

I think because as a current 10D owner, this camera does not represent much of an upgrade and this more to the point this camera inspires no upgrade lust. My biggest complaints about the 10D *dynamic range* and *iso in viewfinder* are not addressed (but perhaps they are? Have to wait and see).

By all appearances, this camera addresses the "spec war" by boosting AF points to 9 (of which I would continue to only use the center), megapixels (well, all my shots are ultimately chopped to 400K anyway) and a larger buffer (but I never fill the current buffer. .. )

So I guess I will wait to see if this "20D" would salvage my dark trees against bright sky problems. Wait to see io the 20D would focus better (with a high precision sensor vs the standard sensors of the 300D, 10D, Rebel, and Elan 7). Or if this camera could take a decent sunset shot *with the sun in the frame* without bizzaro blowout flaring.

I guess I am also yawning at the lenses because what I *want* is a high quality 300mm lens that accepts the 1.4 TC, and doesn't cost $1100US.

A 17-85/IS sounds nice for those who get blurry shots when they shoot hand held at a 1/2 second shutter => and don't know why the shots are blurry. But what I want is a shot that is sharp corner to corner wide open (F4 is fine), which I doubt that this lens delivers (ie, this doesn't look like a long awaited 24-70/4L)

(of course, I am not one to complain about lenses-> I finally built my dream kit with the 17-40/4L, 50/1.8, 70-200/4L, 1.4TC and a couple of other sweet primes: I have no complaints!)

I bet the D60 owners felt the same when the 10D came out. Except the 10D did address the main D60 complaint: Poor AF in low light.

But. . . I am actually glad that this is not a k.o. must have upgrade. I have been spending far too much on camera gear. Sure, I don't spend much on film. . .but MAN. . the lenses. . the flash cards. . the bodies. . .

. . .next step is more RAM for the PC and a DVD burner. Another second HD upgrade is also in the cards.