New 20 - 40 Pentax zoom

AJG

<p>It is a great lens but I would imagine it is anything but cheap. I remember seeing a price tag of English pound in $849.99 but please don't quote me on it. If someone asks me about my most used prime on a APS-C, I am currently totally hooked on a single prime with 30mm f/2.8 when I go out with my traveling MILC. And in my limited primes in Pentax experience, I will venture out happily with any one of Pentax prime in 21mm, 31mm, 35mm and a bit less on 40/43mm because of the longer reach. And this zoom kind of cover it all for us. But of course, I am someone who gets happy easily as Pentax has quality in its limited primes. The timing has made it invigorating to see Pentax pull off a great stop in lens development. There is nothing like a small and compact lens like in the limited series, my goodness this is excitement to say the least. I can't imaging a black K-3 and this zoom roaming in the beach, the less visited park and forest, or the street shooting. <br /> <br />I think that nostalgic pure photography vision can come easily for a Pentax commercial with a black K-3 and a silver 20-40 with weather sealing. It will beat the odds of that sophisticated Nikon DF with a single lens fixed on focal length. What is lacking a bit is the variable aperture instead of constant. But we are trading limitations with size and form. I am excited with the lens.</p>

<p>I got a used copy of Tamron SP 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0. And when I use my lens turbo adapter on nex, this wide zoom will become 18-38mm zoom because of the focal reducer factor of 0.72 * 1.5 (aps-c crop) to the focal length and with 1 stop of light increase from the focal reducer, my zoom becomes close to 18-38mm f/2.0-2.8. My filter size and the lens hood aren't pretty as they are in 77mm. The 55mm filter size in 20-40mm limited zoom is little compared to my Tamron zoom. It will be a versatile zoom and I truly hope the price can be lowered below $700.</p>

<p>I might be wrong, but I don't believe a lens has ever been made before with Pentax name and a 55mm filter. The standard sizes have generally been 49, 52, 58, 67, and 77 mm and then the front elements of the really large telephotos. There was a 72mm but that was actually a re bagged Tamron and a couple 62mm. As I use a lot of polarizers and a few other lenses I tend to like to stick with those aspects.</p>

<p>Here is the Ricoh page:<br /> <a href="http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/camera-lenses/HD_PENTAX-DA_20-40mm_F2.8-4_ED_Limited_DC_WR">http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/camera-lenses/HD_PENTAX-DA_20-40mm_F2.8-4_ED_Limited_DC_WR</a></p>

<p>This is an interesting announcement that would have been even more significant if it had been made several years ago (I find this typical of Pentax product announcements these days).</p>

<p>This is the first Limited lens with WR! The Limited lenses are the main attraction of the Pentax lens lineup, but their lack of WR didn't go well with that feature of the camera bodies. And the specs are nice - moderate zoom with reasonably fast aperture range - a good compromise to produce a compact lens with higher quality optics. This should be a great lens for street photography.</p>

<p>Of course, I think investing into SLRs is a bad idea now, but at least Ricoh looks serious about developing their system with interesting lenses. However, Nikon has them beat with the Df for taking the position of Leica in DSLR land ;)</p>

<p>I am someone who might be interested in such a lens though I wish they'd managed to wring out a little more speed at the 'long' end, and also kept the price down a bit, maybe $749 instead of $999. (obviously l'd like it to be $199 but that wasn't going to happen, was it...)</p>

<p>Nice to see both WR and DC (in-lens AF motor) making it into a limited lens. I can see myself buying this someday -- like Douglas, i've used my FA20-35/4 for similar purposes -- but will need to see some reviews. This lens will really need to stand out performance-wise. I can see it finding its way into Pentaxian bags if it offers prime-like performance. Would help its cause if it can match the DA21/3.2 and FA28/2.8 and do a credible job at the long end -- would have to be an improvement on other zooms even if it probably won't quite match the DA35/2.8 or DA40/2.8.</p>

<p>The hood is tiny, hopefully it is adequate and that the design is strong in flare-resistance.</p>

<p>The Nikon Df is kind of cool and a pretty nice camera but other than the top deck cosmetics, shutter speed dial (and lack of video or built-in flash) rather conventional DSLR, not really a 'digital FM' and definitetly nothing like a MX or K1000. The price level and complexity leaves room for Pentax/Ricoh do something a little more different, should they choose to.</p>

<p>If the tests prove out well this lens should be a winner despite the price. The first Limited zoom, and with WR and silent DC motor! As is usually the case with a Limited, the price is reflective of high quality materials, craftsmanship, exceptionally compact design, and quality optics.</p>

<p>This lens seems to be in keeping with that tradition. I have a very well made metal body Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 with very good optical quality, but takes a 77mm filter and is much weightier than this new Pentax, which is faster, of greater zoom range, yet is considerably smaller. Rather remarkable. It could work nicely in a compact kit with other Limiteds, like the 15mm, 70 or 77mm, and even the similarly styled and compact F- DA 100mm f/2.8 macro WR also.</p>